Lion = No more "Save As" command?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have a look at what i found, as it might help out if it does what i think it does.

Enable "save as" and disable autosave in OS X Lion | ITworld

In short

1. Open the Terminal application.

2. Type in the following command:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.NAMEOFAPPLICATION ApplePersistence -bool no

3. For example, if you wanted to disable autosave in TextEdit then this is the command you would use:

defaults write com.apple.TextEdit ApplePersistence -bool no

4. All you need to do is put the application's name in the appropriate spot and you will have the "save as" command back, and autosave will be turned off.

HTH

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Actually, it DOESN'T retain the original! - Not on my Mac Pro running Lion, and not according to what I've read on the Apple site. That's why it's so absurdly named. If you want to save the original, then that's what "duplicate" is for.

- And then it's hard to figure out which is the new one, since it doesn't get noted in the name. (unreal) And then if you want to make another change.....

What idiot ever decided that this system makes sense?

OS X Lion: About Auto Save and Versions

Ok, it only saves the last changed state. Qyou can revert, but only in the app.

OP
C
Reaction score
Have a look at what i found, as it might help out if it does what i think it does.

Enable "save as" and disable autosave in OS X Lion | ITworld

In short

1. Open the Terminal application.

2. Type in the following command:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.NAMEOFAPPLICATION ApplePersistence -bool no

3. For example, if you wanted to disable autosave in TextEdit then this is the command you would use:

defaults write com.apple.TextEdit ApplePersistence -bool no

4. All you need to do is put the application's name in the appropriate spot and you will have the "save as" command back, and autosave will be turned off.

Can anyone confirm this? I hate to mess with the Termnal unless I'm sure I'm not messing something up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
^^ I would try it,but im not running Lion anymore. Sorry

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not having this one command means never being able to recommend a Mac as a primary computer in my workplace.

Can't believe what total ditz came up with the idea of eliminating the "Save As…" command and the ditzes that were convinced it would be a good idea.

Adding auto save - great idea
Removing "Save As…" - that idiot should be taken out and shot.

Good thing I don't do work stuff at home and hasn't affected me here yet.

Am "assuming" the Save As command in 3rd party apps remains unaffected? MS Office, etc. What about Pages?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.