Using my (new to me) PowerMac G5 2.5 Quad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
So, I have got to say, this computer is very nice and fast! Here are some things I have noticed so far in tonight's use:

Pros:
-Youtube is pretty quick
-Leopard is pretty quick
-Graphics Intensive Applications such as Google Earth run decently
-Performing normal tasks such as web browsing, email, and the like are very speedy

Cons:
-Miss out on new OS X features that I use daily on my MBP
-Lack of support for new programs that I use daily on my MBP my most missed program being Skype, I know I could probably get an older one but I like the new one:[
-Cannot run steam so no Counterstrike, Team Fortress, and the like
-No App Store

Conclusion:
Overall this is a superb computer for normal tasks and once Logic Studio 8 finishes installing I am sure that this thing will run that so well and Logic is mainly what I purchased it for anyway.

So on to the specs:
Quad 2.5GHz G5
8GB DDR2 RAM
Quadro FX 4500 with 512MB onboard RAM
500GB SATA HDD
SuperDrive
OS X Leopard 10.5.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
You have identical specs to what my PowerMac G5 had, even with it being 7 years old now, they still have quite a bit of life left in them as long as you don't need to use any Intel-Only apps.

Reaction score
Somewhere inside the White Glowing Apple... meh ac
Your Mac's Specs
2x MacBook 5,2 4GB 64GB SSD + PowerMac G5 Quad2.5 + iPhone 3GS 8GB + iPod nano 2+3 4GB + iPod 4 60GB
Great buy. I bought a similar model this time last year as my first desktop, but sold it a few months ago for double I paid for it! Maybe if you take good care of yours, you can sell it for a good price when its time to upgrade as there still is a high demand for them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Cons:
-Miss out on new OS X features that I use daily on my MBP
-Lack of support for new programs that I use daily on my MBP my most missed program being Skype, I know I could probably get an older one but I like the new one:[
-Cannot run steam so no Counterstrike, Team Fortress, and the like
-No App Store

None of these "cons" should come as any surprise. The cons are totally a result of this computer not being able to run an OS newer than OS 10.5.8 (because of the PPC architecture).

So to me...these really aren't "cons"...they're limitations. It's an 8 year-old computer...and any 8 year-old computer is going to have limitations.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I love my G5s and will never get rid of it unless it dissolves into a pile of dust...which will be properly disposed of in a river:)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
I got the skype. Thanks. Also, yeah unfortunately mine is all bent up from shipping on the exterior, but the interior is fine and it runs beautifully. I think it is safe to conclude that my hard drive was damaged from shipping since it kept getting corrupted but no bother, I put another in as I have plenty of spares runs great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.