Problem on input sources under system preference

Reaction score
Under input sources in language and text, there are some secondary language options under the main language which I did not select but have been greyed out. In this case, Anjal under Tamil Input Method. I cannot unchecked it, does anyone know why and how to get rid of it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 11.58.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 11.58.17 PM.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 17

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's the same under mine also. You can't get rid of it and since you don't have the Tamil Input Method selected, it doesn't matter. Just leave it alone. You'll notice that there are other languages that have the sub folders selected but the main language is not selected: Japanese, Chinese, etc. This is normal.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ic...I guess I'm just a neat freak and it seems unorganized. Also, I find it really weird because I never selected the language to begin with, and I doubt the system will use those languages because I set it up as English initially.
I understand this may be normal, but if anyone knows the workaround for this, please let me know, thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no work around. It's the way the Language and Text preferences have been designed. I might add that as a user of other languages, it's very convenient the way Apple has set this up. Doing the same thing in Windows is much more difficult and costly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
To remove those greyed out checks - you have to check the main heading above them, then uncheck them, then uncheck the main heading.

I have not done it, so I have no clue what result it may have.

Quite frankly, I have been to that particular screen in system preferences perhaps 4 times in 6 years.

OP
B
Reaction score
To remove those greyed out checks - you have to check the main heading above them, then uncheck them, then uncheck the main heading.

I have not done it, so I have no clue what result it may have.

Quite frankly, I have been to that particular screen in system preferences perhaps 4 times in 6 years.

Thanks for the respond. I did try to check the main heading, as in my first post, but you can see from the sceenshot even though I check the Tamil input method, Anjal is still greyed out and I can't get rid of that

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said above, you can't.... There is another way but it's a bit drastic and can cause problems. There are several utilities which can remove unused languages from your Mac. For example... they can remove every language you check off leaving only English. However, there are some applications (MS Office for one) which will choke and die unless the other languages are present.

OP
B
Reaction score
Like I said above, you can't.... There is another way but it's a bit drastic and can cause problems. There are several utilities which can remove unused languages from your Mac. For example... they can remove every language you check off leaving only English. However, there are some applications (MS Office for one) which will choke and die unless the other languages are present.

I'm just trying to respond to a previous post about my concern and how his suggestion may not work in my case. But I know there's no easy way to get rid of unuse languages so I guess I'll just stop messing with it

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What chscag said.

I used a couple of those apps that will remove unused languages early on in my Mac switch. They will cause various apps to not work. Highly recommend disregarding them and leaving them alone.

OP
B
Reaction score
A friend recommended monolingual and I used it a few weeks ago when I first got my mac, it cleared out a few GBs of free space for me, but that was before I install MS Office, not sure if this app will cause office to die

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Office 2011 should continue to function, however, you might run into a problem when installing updates. Although, I believe you'll be OK since you installed Office after using Monolingual. Just don't run Monolingual again. As a matter of fact, I would uninstall it just to be sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.