How do I get the McAfee usb-hdn2-320GBF to work on my mac

Reaction score
I have a new MacBook Pro with OSX 10.8 and I have a encrypted usb drive non-bio.

the hd starts and is viewable but when i enter my password i get this error

Error: SSD_RET_IO_ERROR
File Name: /Users/buildgates-head/builds/autobuild/MAC_ACCESS/SSD/mac/ssdsdk/macdriver.cpp
File Date: 12:09:59 Nov 30 2010
File Line Number: 295
Call Stack:

MacDriver::sendCommand
MXPG2_RawDeviceCom::send
MXPG2_RawDeviceCom::SendRequest
DeviceChannel::transact
FilterChannel::transact
SecureChannelClient::transact
MXPG2_DeviceManagement::directComm
DeviceManagement::execCommand
MXPG2_UserPassword::Authenticate
SSD_AuthenticateInternal
unlockWithPwd
authenticate
authenticate

Is there a fix or workaround for this or do i have to still use my PC do be productive!?

This is my first apple product and i would like it to be a good experience, like all things i am sure it has its short comings.

thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It would appear as though the drive is encrypted with McAfee's own proprietary encryption firmware/software. Your PC likely has a special driver that is designed to allow this access, or the driver is automatically loaded the first time you connect it to a machine. Or (heaven help you) it's a corporate drive and works in tandem with McAfee's craptastic DLP and EPO solutions. Perhaps this post on McAfee's own forums may help you to find a cipher of some sort to decrypt the drive:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/47694

Assuming the drive is not locked by a hardware mechanism, you may want to consider other software-based options.

TrueCrypt or Mac OS X's own encrypted DMG format may prove more flexible.

OP
Y
Reaction score
It would appear as though the drive is encrypted with McAfee's own proprietary encryption firmware/software. Your PC likely has a special driver that is designed to allow this access, or the driver is automatically loaded the first time you connect it to a machine. Or (heaven help you) it's a corporate drive and works in tandem with McAfee's craptastic DLP and EPO solutions. Perhaps this post on McAfee's own forums may help you to find a cipher of some sort to decrypt the drive:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/47694

Assuming the drive is not locked by a hardware mechanism, you may want to consider other software-based options.

TrueCrypt or Mac OS X's own encrypted DMG format may prove more flexible.

Unfortunately, this was a work provided device the HD that is so i am limited on what i can do with it, which is pretty much everything, I don't even have admin access.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.