Upgrading the operating system on a 2009 Macbook white?!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a quick question. I have a Macbook late 2009 model (White) and it is running on Snow Leopard so currently it is Mac OS X 10.6.8. I never got round to upgrading to Lion but now I am facing the problem of not being able to run a fair share of applications that I would really actually like to have hence, I was wondering with a Mac like mine, would you recommend upgrading to Mountain Lion? What I am worried about the most, is that it will be to 'difficult' for my Macbook since it is not even a Pro. What are your thoughts and recommendations because I don't dare to upgrade without sufficient information and assurance that my Mac won't become a turtle!

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

You can download Mountain Lion from the Apple Store using OS X.6.8 no problem and only $20.00. Note that older PowerPC applications, such as Office 2004 etc., which are PowerPC built will not run. Must be Intel software. There is no Rosetta as in Snow Leopard to run these applications. If you go Mountain Lion, suggest prior to running the Installer, make a bootable USB thumb drive which is detailed here:-

http://gigaom.com/apple/quick-tip-create-a-usb-installer-for-mountain-lion/

A clean install seems to be the go. After you have cloned your current system, you can use Migration Assistant in Utilities to copy everything over.

OP
S
Reaction score
I see....

G'day and welcome to the forums.

You can download Mountain Lion from the Apple Store using OS X.6.8 no problem and only $20.00. Note that older PowerPC applications, such as Office 2004 etc., which are PowerPC built will not run. Must be Intel software. There is no Rosetta as in Snow Leopard to run these applications. If you go Mountain Lion, suggest prior to running the Installer, make a bootable USB thumb drive which is detailed here:-

Quick tip: Create a USB installer for Mountain Lion — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

A clean install seems to be the go. After you have cloned your current system, you can use Migration Assistant in Utilities to copy everything over.

Thank you! =) I just want to make sure that it will be worth it and frankly, I have never ever updated an operating system before so I am worried that I will loose all my work and files and movies and music and everything! *stressed*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.