MicroSDHC Removable Drive Not Showing UP in Devices

Reaction score
Please forgive me if this isn't the correct forum, but I guessed that the USB reader containing my micro SDHC in its adapter is considered a peripheral.

Anyway, I'm trying to get my iMac running OS X Version 10.6.8 to recognize the micro SDHC card in its adapter in a card reader which is connected to a USB port but it doesn't appear anywhere. I read that if I open the Finder it should appear under Devices but it doesn't. I've turned the computer off and on with the reader plugged in and that doesn't help.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably a defective adapter. I've had nothing but difficulties with cheap adapters that are provided along with some Micro SDHC cards. I'm currently using an adapter by Sandisk which works well.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. This is the second adapter and the second reader I've tried. The micro SDHC is a new Samsung Class 10 32GB card and was reformatted to the FAT32 I need in a friend's camera and it, too, is good.

Is there someplace else on the iMac that I should be able to find it besides in Devices or something I should do on the iMac to make it visible?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing I can suggest is to try the card and adapter on another computer, even a PC. My iMac has an SDHC reader built in but even with that I have had difficulty with some adapters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Did you make sure to check the "external disks" box in Finder Preferences in both the General and sidebar tabs?

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.