new video ipod versus older photo ipod

Reaction score
Hello,
I have the option of picking up the new 30GB video ipod, or the 40GB photo (not video) for about the same price.
I was wondering if the new video ipods were better all around players than the previous photo only players. The video option is nice, but I don't think I have any need to watch a music video (by the way how big of a file size is a music video, or a 1.5 hour movie?). I was thinking of just getting more space for music and photo's with the old version, unless the new viewer is better, or better battery life, or better music quality, fewer problems and so on.
Are video music players really the next big thing? I don't know where you would get music video's, how many are available, or even how relavent they are. Seems kind of like a fad to me.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The video is a lot nicer than the photo IMO.

Slimmer, MUCH nicer screen, 3D photo transistions and video...

Personally I'd go for the new video, unless you are really stuck for space and need the extra 10 GB.

Reaction score
Get the video without a doubt. If you really need the extra space, just spend the extra $ for the 60gb video.

I

iMacTravis

I just got the new iPod (30GB). It is well worth the money, and if I did need the extra space I would have been happy to pay an extra 100 dollars for the 60GB.

The iPod is very skinny, and using the interface on the large screen is really a pleasure. Although watching videos is not the primary purpose, it is surprisingly good at videos. I just put a full length movie on in, very easily, and it looks great. It is about 2 hours and is just under 500MB. A 1.5 hour movie would probably be around 400MB. The movie is good enough quality to view text like subtitles.

Viewing photos is very nice also. I like the new iPod much more then the iPod photo.

OP
W
Reaction score
battery

thanks man......what is the battery life like on the 30GB? I heard that it is only enough to watch one movie....have you tried to watch that movie you uploaded? did it take up the whole battery?

iMacTravis said:
I just got the new iPod (30GB). It is well worth the money, and if I did need the extra space I would have been happy to pay an extra 100 dollars for the 60GB.

The iPod is very skinny, and using the interface on the large screen is really a pleasure. Although watching videos is not the primary purpose, it is surprisingly good at videos. I just put a full length movie on in, very easily, and it looks great. It is about 2 hours and is just under 500MB. A 1.5 hour movie would probably be around 400MB. The movie is good enough quality to view text like subtitles.

Viewing photos is very nice also. I like the new iPod much more then the iPod photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D Glossy
The New Video ipods are nice, but i was dissapointed about the fact that there is no longer firewire support in them.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I just got my wife the 60gb photo. She loves it. She upgraded from a 20gb non-photo, 4th gn I think. Anyway, the battery life is awesome, a huge improvement over it's predecessor. I don't know specifically the life of the 30gb, but I heard it is a major improvement from a buddy who has one. She said that prior to actually getting her hands on her ipod, she thought she would never have a use for the video. Now that she has it i catch her downloading videos, tv shows, home movies, etc... all the time. The video quality is awesome. As for size of a file, she downloaded Sin City, it is 2hours4minutes long and the file size is 946.8mbs. She would highly recommend the video to anyone who asks

Reaction score
As far as battery life, I have the 30 gig and with a fully charged battery was able to watch The Incredibles ( 1 hour 55 min.) ans still have a small bit of battery left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I got the new iPod 30GB today from the Regent Street Store. Couldn't be happier!
Alex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.