Macbook A1181 problem

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new here and like this forum a lot, read a few of the threads and rather impressed.

I do not as a rule work on Apple products however a good friend has an A1181 notebook that the hard drive died on.
I opened the laptop and pulled the hard drive out and put in a brand new WD Black drive.
When I go to install the OS it is not detecting the drive, to be certain I took the drive out and bench tested it and it passed.
There is a SATA connector that goes from the drive to the main board, is it worth buying one or do you think the controller on the mainboard is shot?

I plugged in a 32GB USB flash drive and was able to install the OS to it and the notebook is functioning normally.

Any advise from Mac gurus would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think the cable is worth a shot if you can get them inexpensively off ebay

OP
D
Reaction score
I think the cable is worth a shot if you can get them inexpensively off ebay

Replaced the cable with a working one I got, nothing changed the system still does not see the drive. Any ideas? How do you go into the bios with a Mac?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Replaced the cable with a working one I got, nothing changed the system still does not see the drive. Any ideas? How do you go into the bios with a Mac?

Macintosh computers don't have "BIOS".

As far as the original question/issue...with the replacement HD not being recognized...was the new HD formatted to be used on a Mac? Mac's need the HD formatted differently from Windows computers.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Macintosh computers don't have "BIOS".

As far as the original question/issue...with the replacement HD not being recognized...was the new HD formatted to be used on a Mac? Mac's need the HD formatted differently from Windows computers.

- Nick

Can I use Hirens to format it? What file system do I format it to?

OP
D
Reaction score
So how does one format a brand new hard drive to be installed on a Mac? Is it not like windows where it formats the new drive when you go to install the OS? I looked up instructions on OS-X installations and it says nothing about pre-formating the hard drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Nevermind DUH!!!! I never noticed the bar on top at boot. I got it figured out. Thanks for the replies guys.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nevermind DUH!!!! I never noticed the bar on top at boot. I got it figured out. Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes...that top menu bar when you boot from an OS install disk can be a little troublesome. Great to hear you figured it out!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.