Boot issues with PowerMac G5

Reaction score
Hi from france,

My early 2005 powermac G5 has troubles, I looking for help everywhere..:Confused:

Sometimes G5 boots, sometimes not. I don't understand.

So, I switch the tower: fans power on, no chime, blacks screen, sometimes, white led illuminates, I don't hear hardrives research. Keyboard don't respond too, unable to open dvd drive in order to try "AHT".
I tried to move the 6x1go ram slot, well replaced: dc ba ab cd
I tried reset "PMU", disconnect graphic card, hardrives, power cord, no change..

And I forget to say, sometimes, I can't reboot the system: I must shut down completely and wait few minutes, to restart.

Please can someone help me, cause I need my G5 to work unfortunately :\

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One quick question...when was the last time this Powermac G5 was internally inspected for dirt/fuzz...and if it was dirty...was it cleaned?

Powermac G5 fans & cpu heat sink cooling fins can get very dirty.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
No idea, I bought this used G5 in 2009.
I clean sometimes with vacuum, blow dirt in the fans etc, but never disconnect cards power supply and processors: I don't know how to do.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No idea, I bought this used G5 in 2009.
I clean sometimes with vacuum, blow dirt in the fans etc...

Your answer is a bit confusing.:( I asked when was the last time you cleaned this computer...and you replied..."No idea" and "I clean it sometimes". So I'm really not sure what to think.

If a Powermac G5 is dirty...it's cooling system will not be working properly. And if the computer is over-heating...this can cause problems similar to what you're experiencing.

I'm not saying that your computer IS dirty. What I'm trying to figure out is...IF...it is dirty. If it is NOT dirty...then we can move onto other ideas.

But there is no need to try other things...if poor cooling (due to dirt/fuzz) is the problem.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
OK, sorry, I understand, no problem;
I don't know if the last owner of the G5 clean it seriously, but I clean it regularly since I owned it.
I don't take to pieces the G5, because I don't know how to do.

So please can you tell me how can I clean the cooling ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.