can't open folders I create

Reaction score
Strangest thing. When I create a folder on my MBA (Mountain Lion), and then go to open it, I can't. I click on the new folder, but nothing happens. The name of the folder gets highlighted, like it is selected, but the Finder window doesn't change. Then when I go to open any other folder there, same thing happens, the name of the folder gets highlighted (but the new folder's name also remains highlighted) and nothing happens. I can't even delete the new folder until I go somewhere else using the Finder sidebar. So I go somewhere else (user or applications), then come back to the place I created the new folder, and then I can delete it. Really weird. My iMac, also running 10.8 does not have this problem. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Have you looked at the Folder Permisions or is the Folder Info not available for you to view?

DavidH

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply David. Yes, I've checked the permissions, and that doesn't seem to be the problem. The issue does not happen in another user account I set up to check. I have tried restoring documents and some other stuff to a new account through Migration Assistant, but the problem comes with it. I may have to just transfer over everything to the new account using an external HD.

Reaction score
Another thing to try is to do a "Get Info" on those image files and check to make sure the "Locked" option is not checked.
Sometimes the combination of FAT32/NTFS formatted drives, Windows, and copying the files to a Mac enable that "Locked" option.

Ibanezi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The issue does not happen in another user account I set up to check.

There you go! That was a good idea.

Go to the View menu and hold down Option. Click on Library. This takes you to the User Library folder for whatever account is logged in. Open Preferences. Drag com.apple.finder.plist to the Desktop. Restart.

fixed?

Reaction score
Go to the View menu and hold down Option. Click on Library. This takes you to the User Library folder for whatever account is logged in. Open Preferences. Drag com.apple.finder.plist to the Desktop. Restart.

I'm having the exact same problem but I don't understand these instructions. Can you explain where I go to Go to the View menu and hold down Option?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
View is in the Menu Bar at the top of your screen.

Reaction score
I tried this and don't have the Library option to click on, is there another way to get to the User Library folder?

Reaction score
Computer/MacIntosh HD/Library/Preferences

SM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

SM

No, that will not get you to the User Account's Library folder. The Library folder you want should be under View when you hold down the Option key and click.

Reaction score
That's not happening for me, i don't know what I'm doing wrong.

SM

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
SM

Wrong library, should be: MacIntosh HD/users/user name/library/preferences

That's not happening for me, i don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Doesn't work in ML. To unhide the user library, open terminal and type in the following: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't work in ML. To unhide the user library, open terminal and type in the following: chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Good grief! They made it even harder. Why???

C

chas_m

chscag gave you the GEEK way of getting to the user library

the NORMAL PERSON's way would be to hold the option key while looking at the "Go" menu.

So as you can see, they didn't actually make it harder at all.

They made the user library invisible in Lion because really, it should not be messed with in routine use. Really bad stuff can happen if you muck about in the user library and don't know what you're doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
View or Go?
Go or View?
"Aw heck, we'll just do both."

Seems like they could have done without one of them.
So it's View in Lion and Go in Mountain Lion... that's a big improvement. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.