Upgrading to Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Help - I'm new to Mac and not entirely sure what do to.

We have an MBP and a MBA. My daughter is the primary user of the Pro and I use the Air. By that I mean, I purchased both but she has her ITunes account on the Pro. I occasionally use it but just mostly the browser and to listen to her music. The opposite is true with the Air. Its my ITunes account on the Air. I'm not entirely sure who the Pro is "registered" to but since I purchased it maybe to me?

Anyway, I don't know if that information is useful or not but finally here is my question. I am planning to upgrade to Mountain Lion. I thought I read that you just need to buy one copy for all of your systems but I can't recall where I saw that so I might be losing me mind....

If I can buy once and install it on both machines, how do I do this if my iTunes account isn't already on the Pro? Can I install it on the Air and then go to the Pro, go into my iTunes App Store and download it again?

I appreciate your very detailed reply! :)

Thanks,

Amp

Reaction score
Hey Amp,

It's actually an incredibly easy process to update your MBP and MBA to Mountain Lion now that it is done 100% through your App Store.

First thing I will say is that you must be running Snow Leopard or Higher (OS 10.6 or higher) to access the app store. If you are running a lesser operating system, you are going to have to do take some extra steps.

Assuming you currently have Snow Leopard (OS 10.6)

You want to open your app store and search for Mountain Lion, it will probably appear as the first result, and cost around $20 dollars, you'll need to purchase this. You can sign into the app store with the same information you use for your itunes account. (account will be under quick links on your right side or it will prompt you to sign in upon purchase, but remember that for the next step)

Once you purchase and download the OS update, simply go to the next computer, sign into the app store using the same information, search mountain lion, and this time it should just say INSTALL instead of having a price. and follow the same steps as you did previously.

Apple usually provides a couple licenses, knowing people could have a number of computer in their households

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Or even simpler use Lion Discmaker to make a bootable USB thumb drive. Just search threads for how to do this. That way you will have the OS on hand. After running the Installer after download, it is gone.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I might try using LionDiscmaker I guess. Will force me to try something new (again). Crossing fingers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note that the Lion DiskMaker will not work if you have already installed Mountain Lion. The process has to be performed prior to installation. And, you'll need at least an 8 GB flash drive in order for all the files and utilities to fit.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you - I looked at the instructions for the only reference I could find for discmaker - that seemed ominous so I opted to download to both machines. It took a while but it seemed less scary in the end....

I appreciate all of the assistance. If I get brave enough to try DiscMaker I will be back :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.