iMac 27 2011 3.4GHz i7 upgrade RAM

Reaction score
i just upgrade from OWC my iMac 27 2011 3.4GHz i7 upgrade to 16GB RAM and WoW i feel lot of difference due to i manage a lot of app at once, and i strongly recommend to upgrade to 16GB , i can leave my parallel and no lagging, !!!! i'm happy with OWC RAM!! is good and cheap!!!!

next upgrade will be SSD but looks hard to replace.....

PS: sorry for my bad english, i live in El Salvador.. so my native language is spanish!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
next upgrade will be SSD but looks hard to replace.....

Follow the instructions (in English) at iFixit: The free repair manual. Also, there are special considerations for adding a SSD to your 2011 iMac. The hard drives used in the 2011 iMac models are proprietary because of the heat sensors and special cables used. Do some searching on the web to find out about installing a SSD in your iMac before you attempt to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i5 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, 240GB OWC SSD + 1TB Apple HD
I've just put an additional OWC SSD in my 2010 iMac, it's not an easy task but it's possible. You won't be able to simply replace your HDD with an SSD as explained above, but you can add another SSD in there then install everything on it.

I would suggest using the OWC video to do the installation since you're buying exactly what they're using, and it's specific to your iMac model.

It took me ~4 hours, and my 2010 iMac upgrade is considered easy compared to the 2011 method.

OP
W
Reaction score
I've just put an additional OWC SSD in my 2010 iMac, it's not an easy task but it's possible. You won't be able to simply replace your HDD with an SSD as explained above, but you can add another SSD in there then install everything on it.

I would suggest using the OWC video to do the installation since you're buying exactly what they're using, and it's specific to your iMac model.

It took me ~4 hours, and my 2010 iMac upgrade is considered easy compared to the 2011 method.

thanks for your advice!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OWC have a service where you send in your iMac and they will install the SSD for you. Have a look at their web site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.