Internal HD shows on destop as USB thumb drive

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a silver G4 1.0ghz DP desktop running OS x 10.4.11 w/ 3 internal HDs. I acqiured a (mirror face) G4 1.25ghz DP desktop. I placed the two of the 3 drives from the old system (data) into the new G4 1.25ghz machine. I placed one drive on the main cable (with the master drive) and the second drive on the other controller under the DVD drive.

When the system starts and gets to the desktop, I see the main drive, the first drive which on the same controller cable as the main drive but the second drive on the second controller shows up on the desktop with the icon of a USB thumb drive labeled as “USB20FD”. I pull the menu for this device and it lists an “Eject” option . The Get Info shows it as “MS-DOS Fat32” with 7.53mb used. When I open the drive it only shows a fraction of the contents. I then swap this drive with the other on the main controller and I can see all the contents and shows up as a HD.

I then started up the G4 1.25ghz system from an external FW drive with an image of OS X 10.5.x to install a clean system (erased HD) on the main drive that came with system. All went well with the installation. Afterwards I pulled all the drives I had installed including unplugging the external FW drive. When I started the system on my desktop I see the main drive running OS X 10.5.x and again the USB icon labeled “USB20FD” on the desktop even though I only have the 80gb drive that came with that system. I pulled the USB/Firewire adapter card from the machine but got the same USB icon on the desktop.

What could be causing this problem?

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If I understand this correctly, you continue to see this drive icon "USB20FD" persistently despite having only the main drive installed?

What does Disk Utility show? Select that drive, then check its properties at the bottom. If it's really a Flash Drive in a USB port, then the connection bus will be listed as USB (unless the UI for Disk Utility has changed since 10.5). If it's a disk image (dmg), then the connection bus will say that (the default icons for a flash drive and a dmg are the same).

If it does turn out to be a disk image, then likely it is being auto-mounted for some reason. When you reinstalled 10.5, did you migrate your user account back over?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.