Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s 32GB IOS 5.0.1 / MBP 2011 2.2GHz intel i7 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, OSX 10.8

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Upgrading the RAM and HD to a SSD is no problem. I doubt, however, that you can upgrade the processor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You CANNOT upgrade the processor in an Apple laptop computer!

And even if you could...you certainly couldn't do it with a processor meant for a desktop computer (the link you provided).

- Nick

OP
Z31daG33k
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s 32GB IOS 5.0.1 / MBP 2011 2.2GHz intel i7 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, OSX 10.8
You CANNOT upgrade the processor in an Apple laptop computer!

And even if you could...you certainly couldn't do it with a processor meant for a desktop computer (the link you provided).

- Nick

Oh did not notice that it was for a desktop I knew you could upgrade processors in PC but don't know mutch about apple computers...yet so how mutch performance diffrence is there between 2nd (sandy bridge) and 3rd (ivy bribge) gen intel processors

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh did not notice that it was for a desktop I knew you could upgrade processors in PC but don't know mutch about apple computers...

The processors in Windows laptop computers are not upgradeable either!;)

- Nick

OP
Z31daG33k
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The processors in Windows laptop computers are not upgradeable either!;)

- Nick

I thiught you could but it requires a BIOS update to do so and the new processor needs to be backward compatible
Or is that just with desktop computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I thiught you could but it requires a BIOS update to do so and the new processor needs to be backward compatible
Or is that just with desktop computers

Only a few Windows laptops offer the possibility of being able to upgrade the processor. These laptops are usually the gaming rigs, with swappable processor chip sockets. These are also the laptops that way a ton and a half. Technically, the only way to replace a processor on a MBP is to replace the whole (logicboard)motherboard with something compatible from a MBP's higher end line.

Which ever way you do decide to go, I can vouch for Apple's refurbished lineup. I've had my MBP for 3 years now, and bought it refurbed from Apple. I'm glad I made that choice for the refurb because I now know to do it again.

OP
Z31daG33k
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Few more things are the 2011 mbp's upgradibel past 8gb of ram or is 8 the max AND how difficult is it to swap the HDd for an ssd , moving the os to the new drive from the old one I assume it's not to hard Just put in new drive and install OSX but as far as I know Moutain lion is only on the app store and don't know how to install it on a new drive from the app store...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Few more things are the 2011 mbp's upgradibel past 8gb of ram or is 8 the max AND how difficult is it to swap the HDd for an ssd...

If you're talking 2011 MBP's...all of them can be upgraded to 16gig of ram. Swapping an SSD for the HD is not very hard...but then "hard" is always relative to a persons skill & experience.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Few more things are the 2011 mbp's upgradibel past 8gb of ram or is 8 the max AND how difficult is it to swap the HDd for an ssd , moving the os to the new drive from the old one I assume it's not to hard Just put in new drive and install OSX but as far as I know Moutain lion is only on the app store and don't know how to install it on a new drive from the app store...

1. The ram can be upgraded up to 16gb of 1333MHz.
2. Upgrading hdd to ssd is as easy as upgrading hdd to a newer hdd. A fresh OS install is always recommended, and is almost mandatory for an SSD.
3. If you buy a new/refurb MBP from Apple, it will come with a recovery disk written onto the hdd. Since Lion is downloaded via App Store, it will save a file on to the computer, and not the harddrive. This lets you install OSX without needing a disc. This is what you will use to install the new operating system.

If you I were you, I would install the current operating system(one that comes with your computer...probably Lion), purchase the new Mountain Lion but DON'T install it yet. Save the ISO image of the install onto a flash drive, or hdd backup drive. Then you can use that to install ML. You do this so that you can always have the Mountain Lion install ready, because if you install right away after downloading it from the App Store, you lose the ability to save the install file.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only a few Windows laptops offer the possibility of being able to upgrade the processor. These laptops are usually the gaming rigs, with swappable processor chip sockets.

Yeah...I probably should have said "most" Windows laptop cpu's are not upgradeable. There are almost always at least some "odd-balls" that make the "all" statement not quite correct.;)

- Nick

OP
Z31daG33k
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help that's all I need to know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yeah...I probably should have said "most" Windows laptop cpu's are not upgradeable. There are almost always at least some "odd-balls" that make the "all" statement not quite correct.;)

- Nick

There's always an oddball somewhere to ruin just about all statements:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.