Question about mail app

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been using the mail app for a while and I decide to delete my google account and add it back as an "others" type account, but mail seems to have remember my setting, once I type in the email address and password, it bypass the step of choosing the account type and automatically set it up as an google imap account, which I have no way of changing it, does anyone know how can I solve this problem and set up my google account under "others" as suppose to "google imap"
Sorry if it sounds confusing and certain terminology is off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Mac Mail is 'aware' of many email providers. Those providers expose their settings so that configuring the mail client doesn't need you to go under the hood with port numbers and SSL settings.

Now, given some time to dig I'm sure I could find the Mac Mail plist which could be reset. But perhaps if you could explain why you want to make the change it would help.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply. Since I'm a newbie, please bear with me here. I notice when I delete emails at the mail app, it's acting weird and will create a folder on gmail called "deleted messages". The reason I know is because I frequently log onto gmail on web browers eg. when I'm using a school computer at the library or lab, all the emails that I delete from mail will go to the "deleted messages" folder as mentioned before, and the emails that I delete from gmail via web browser will go to trash. I am a neat freak and I found it to be unorganize which bugs me. Then I also notice if I delete emails on the same gmail account on my ipad, I do not have this problem at all. When I set it up on ipad, I set it up as "others" as suppose to "gmail", so I thought by doing so on the mail app, it will give me some advance options to solve the issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I would stick with the auto settings but then use these instructions
Recommended IMAP client settings - Gmail Help

This will allow you to configure Apple Mail to behave in line with how the online gmail interface behaves

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.