Wireless for old iMac G4?

Reaction score
Hi All

I've recently resurrected an old iMac G4 (Model Powermac 4,2). I have ethernet running into it to connect to the internet, but I would prefer to hook it up wirelessly. Is this possible? does a USB adapter exist that will work? I am running OSX 10.4.11, which i believe is the most I can run on the machine. Any input would be appreciated, thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but I would prefer to hook it up wirelessly. Is this possible?

Yes

does a USB adapter exist that will work?

Not in my experience...especially with older Mac's. You would be best off getting the original Airport card that was designed to work with an iMac G4. Looks like this (photo below)...(can be purchased via e-Bay):

apple_airport_card3.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go as Nick suggests. Never yet got a dongle to work! Simply no drivers.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. Is there a way I can determine which airport card will work in my machine? Also, will this be difficult to install?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you for the input. Is there a way I can determine which airport card will work in my machine? Also, will this be difficult to install?

You said you had a iMac G4 (Model Powermac 4,2)...that's why I posted the photo of the Airport Card you need. You NEED the one pictured in the photo above!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.