Install issue

Reaction score
Ok, so I downloaded Mountain Lion from the App store yesterday.
Today I tried to install it by clicking on the "Install" icon in Launchpad.
It started, I went about my business, came back to find the login window, logged in
and found that my system hasn't changed one bit.

I have no experience with this kind of install method, so some help would be really, really
nice.

Ibanezi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i5 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, 240GB OWC SSD + 1TB Apple HD
At the risk of sounding patronising - are you sure? It looks no different to Lion, really. Click the Apple logo then go to 'About This Mac'. It should say OS X 10.8, not 10.7.x.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Lol, I don't patronize easily mate, no problem.
I already had ML on it, I just don't have anything important on it, and wanted to see how things work
with a fresh install.
But everything is the same, music on there, movies on there, prefs, photo's... which all should be gone.

Ibanezi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I'm on the same page now. If you've got ML on there, to do a fresh install just reboot your Mac and hold down the option key ('alt' on some keyboards). Then do the following:

1. Boot into the Recovery 10.8 drive
2. Open Disk Utility, select 'Macintosh HD' on the left, then click the 'Erase' tab
Remember, there's no going back after the next step below. Once you click Erase and confirm it, everything has gone
3. Rename the new partition using the textbox ('Macintosh HD' would be a good name...), leave the format as 'Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and click 'Erase' (again, EVERYTHING will be deleted)
4. Close Disk Utility and click 'Reinstall Mac OS X'
5. Let it do it's thing and you'll need to do the initial setup again of your Mac once it's installed - same as when you first bought your Mac

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Ok, that's the answer I was looking for, thanks a lot andy9l.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
I managed to make a bootable usb with ML on it, and I must say, it works.... BUT! :Smirk:
When I need to calibrate the keyboard (the fact that OSX says the keyboard isn't being recognized baffles me to begin with) I have to press the key on the right of the left SHIFT key.... it still fails.

Does anyone else have this?

All this is done on a MBP 13" late 2011

Ibanezi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's odd, never heard of that before. Have you installed ML on your hard drive now, or are you running it from the USB stick?

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
I'm running 10.8 from the internal HDD.
FWIW the keyboard behaves like it should, it's just weird....

Ibanezi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.