Setting up a new hdd from a Time Machine Backup without the Installation Disc?

Reaction score
Long story short. My hard drive crashed. Thankfully I backed it up with Time Machine. I purchased a new hard drive. I need to set this new drive up from my Time Machine Backup. But I don't have my installation discs. Am I screwed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
How old is that mac and is it under warranty, and what version of OSX was it running

OP
O
Reaction score
luishen, its a 2009 model. Not under warranty.

ycl1688, thanks for the link. I read it earlier this morning and it doesnt apply to my problem. The new drive doesnt have an operating system on it. Which is needed to access the utilities folder as explained in the article. And I cant put an operating system on it without the install disks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Give Apple customer service a call and order a retail Snow Leopard 10.6.8 DVD from them. I understand they still have them in stock but the supply is limited so call now. The disk will cost $29.99. Without an install disk and since there is no operating system on the hard drive you have no way of recovering from Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.