Create a keyboard shortcut to turn on mirroring?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Does anyone know if there’s a way to create a keyboard shortcut to turn on mirroring in ML? Maybe even some kind of Automator command? I've never really done either before. I want to be able to turn on mirroring on my iMac using my iPad/iPhone keyboard app when I’m sitting on the couch using my Apple TV so I don't have to run upstairs to do it.

Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you just wanting to be able to see the Mac screen on your iPad and interact with it. If so there are a number of apps that can do this without having to activate mirroring.

I am currently using Remotix and Remotix Lite for this. The Lite version doesn't show the screen in color. I have also used iTeleport in the past but there are numerous others available.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
No, what I want to do is to be able to mirror my iMac screen to my Apple TV without having to go to the iMac and turning it on. I want to be able to watch web content like free Hulu and other content on my Apple TV from my iMac but I don't want to have to run upstairs to my iMac and turn on mirroring every time.

I have apps that let me use my iPad/iPhone as a wireless mouse and keyboard, but I can't see my screen to click. I have Splashtop to see and control my iMac from my iPad, but it doesn't interact well when I have Splashtop mirroring and then try to mirror to the Apple TV at the same time.

If there were some kind of function key or keyboard combination to turn mirroring on my iMac on, that would be all I need. Right now I don't know any way to do that.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you don't mind looking at a gray copy of your Mac's screen while activating mirroring. give Remotix Lite a try. It can literally be configured to allow the iPad to control most of your Macs functions from a distance as long as they are on the same network.

I have not tried it to activate mirroring but I use it to interact with other system functions/preference panes so it should work

Edit: Tried to activate mirroring on my iPad using both versions of Remotix and it will open the Displays preferences and activate mirroring. I can change that setting on my Mac from the iPad. Using the Lite version causes the screen image on the iPad to go berserk after a few minutes but you have plenty of time to make the adjustment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.