Bootcamp quit during partition and now disk won't unmount.

Reaction score
Thank you in advance.

During the partition process boot camp quit unexpectedly and I had a data loss and no partition present itself in disk utility, I have been in and out of the Recovery HD and I have tried a secondary partition with that and the disk will not unmount.

I have tried everything I could find, reset PRAM and even tried to erase the hard drive and start fresh but that disk refuses to unmount and the external recovery Lion has will not be installed onto a USB stick.

Will running Boot camp again rectify this problem or is there something else wrong?

Reaction score
Im not sure this will help but here goes :

Hi, IM not an expert but I was running bootcamp yesterday and had to format my drive so learned a few things. Do you have a backup of the data? if you do... this is probably the best thing you can do. If you dont and ALL of the data is lost anyway then try this as well.

try restarting your computer and press down and hold c while the laptop boots up. That will let you boot from your CD drive. That is important because its the only way you can format and erase your disk. if you boot from your hardrive then theres no way to do it anymore. After the apple sign loads up and it might take a while because its reading from a disc, you will see a menu where you can choose your language. Select english or whatever your primary language is and then thatl take you to the installation page. DO NOT INSTALL THE OS. instead, move your mouse to the utilities menu up on the top menu bar and select utilities. There you can just erase the disc completely ... afterwards, If you have a timemachine backup you can go to utilities again and restore with time machine. If not, you can just do a clean install of the OS. Hopefully after that youd be able to partition your hard drive. Thats what I did when I got an error message telling me I cant partition my disk because there are unmovable files. Worked like a charm but I had a time machine backup already...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.