OS X can't be installed on the disk Macintosh HD, because a recovery system can't...

Reaction score
I've tried to upgrade to Mountain Lion from Lion, but am told that the installation failed and that 'OS X can't be installed on the disk Macintosh HD, because a recovery system can't be created.' From what I've read online, this has something to do with my hard drive partitions.

If I were to create a bootable thumb drive with the ML installer file, would I be able to complete the installation or would the same problem occur? I'm more than happy to erase all my hard drive data and partitions if that's necessary and I would much rather a quick and easy method that erases all my data than a complicated method which keeps all my data intact.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I were to create a bootable thumb drive with the ML installer file, would I be able to complete the installation or would the same problem occur? I'm more than happy to erase all my hard drive data and partitions if that's necessary and I would much rather a quick and easy method that erases all my data than a complicated method which keeps all my data intact.

You should be able to create a bootable ML flash drive by using the "Lion Diskmaker" application which you can download from here. Note that you'll need at least an 8 GB flash drive.

Before doing any erasing of partitions and or the drive, make a Time Machine backup to an external drive. After installing ML, you can recover your data by restoring from Time Machine. After, boot to your Recovery partition (command + R) and use Disk Utility to remove partitions and erase the drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
You should be able to create a bootable ML flash drive by using the "Lion Diskmaker" application which you can download from here. Note that you'll need at least an 8 GB flash drive.

Before doing any erasing of partitions and or the drive, make a Time Machine backup to an external drive. After installing ML, you can recover your data by restoring from Time Machine. After, boot to your Recovery partition (command + R) and use Disk Utility to remove partitions and erase the drive.

Thanks - I just decided to erase all my partitions except for the Macintosh HD and the installation worked fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.