Default programs?

Reaction score
I'm running OSX 10.6.8 on a Macbook Pro 13.3". I would like to change the default programs used to open certain file types, but though I can change the default program for a given file name and it remembers the change, I haven't found any way to change the default for all files with that extension. Eg, I'd like to open all *.iso files with VLC but haven't been able to find how to.

Is there a way?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free RCDefault application. It installs as a preference pane in System Preferences and can be used to change or set the default for any application. LINK

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks. That was simple and it works. Why on earth isn't it part of the OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13" 2012, 1.8GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5
Seconded! Astonishing omission.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brilliant, thank you- how do you find out this stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VLC is still NOT activating; the player icon remains 'off' whilst a video is playing- how do I make it run and how can I check it is the active player?

OP
P
Reaction score
What do you mean it's not "activating"? Do you have it installed in Applications? Can you run it from its icon? Do you know how to add new programs to your available applications?

When a video is playing the software playing it will be named in the top left of the screen. If it's not VLC then I imagine it's DVD Player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks- I see no indication of the player in use. Nothing at all 'top left of screen'.
Yes VLC is in my Applications and shortcut in the dock. No, I don't know how to add new programs, nor how to add url's to VLC player, which seems an unnecessary complication- surely it can be forced to open when a vid is selected??
How can DVD Player be deactivated or replaced?

Is it possible to attach a screenshot here?

OP
P
Reaction score
You'll need someone more experienced than I. I don't really understand your problem. When you start VLC from its icon does the name "VLC" appear at the top left just next to the Apple symbol? Because if not I think there's something wrong with your installation. Perhaps uninstall it and reinstall?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
And on the not part of OSX thing, that is not true. RIGHT Click on any file with the extension you want change what app it opens with. Click on get Info. You will see in the list Open with. Click and select the app you want that extension to open with and also click on Change all. I can do that probably faster than using the app that was recommended and it's part of OSX.

domlanic, what omission? What I said above does the same thing and it's part of OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.