Changed RAM IMac does weird stuff

Reaction score
Please help!
At first, my IMac 2008 wouldn't start. It was showing grey screen and beeping 3 times in a row. So I ordered new RAMs (4 GB matching pair) instead of my old 1 GB. After 'playing' with correct positioning for (seemingly) hours nothing was happening at all. Then I put back the old memory in along with one new in the other slot and the computer finally turned on. I went to check if IMac recognized the new memory and it did showing 3 GB of it instead of the 1 GB I originally had. Anyway, it convinced me that the problem is not in the new RAMs I purchased. To make the long story short: my IMac worked for about 15 min. and froze again. I had to turn it off manually. After that I was back to square one. When I put old memory in - I get grey screen with 3 beeps. When I put either one or both new RAMs in - nothing happens. It was my first time swapping the RAMs so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or if it's me at all. I'd appreciate any help anybody could provide. Thanks in advance!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you bought incorrect memory modules and that there was a problem with your old modules.

Your machine according to Mactracker takes:

2 - 200-pin PC2-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

You can install up to 6 GB maximum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And make sure you purchase Mac compatible modules.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.