Upgrade Help Needed

RTB

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum. I have done a search, so apologies if I'm repeating the same questions others have asked, but all seem to be quite specific.

I have a black MacBook with a 13" display. I don't even know what year it is from, but would guess at around 2006.

If I click on About This Mac, I get the following information:

Mac OS X - Version 10.4.11

Processor: 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I'm aware that this is miles out of date, but would like to try get it reasonably up to date. I have performed the grand total of zero updates since I got it, save for the ones I'm prompted to carry out e.g. later versions of Safari. I can't even install the latest version of iTunes at the moment, as I need a more up to date OS, which consequently means I can't sync my iPhone to it etc.

I barely use it at the moment, save for web browsing, which is stupid as it's able to do so much more.

This is not my main computer, so I don't want to be spending an arm and a leg on it, but would like to take some basic measures to get it up to date so that I can use its functions properly.

If anyone would be kind enough to set out a quick idiot's guide, that would be superb. Don't worry about being patronising; I'm not au fait with technical jargon etc and so it needs to be dumbed down a bit!

Cheers
RTB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.