Upgraded OS...lost programs

Reaction score
Hi folks I upgraded to Mountain Lion, and lost some programs.

I mean they're gone. No longer in the Applications folder.

Some of them don't work any more (like Parallels 6 is there but it doesn't work). I kinda understand that (although I don't like it). What I want to know is how/why did some applications disappear? Did anyone else experience this?

The specific applications that disappeared were ActivClient and ApproveIt. They're kinda specialized programs that work with card readers. I don't expect that too many people here have familiarity with them... but is there anyone that knows where they went?

Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It should have moved them to another folder at the top level of your hard disk

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks Louishen,

The first place I looked (after the Applications Folder) was the "Incompatible Software" folder. They're not there either. For now I've downloaded and installed other programs to replace the ones that are missing.

What a nightmare. There are so many things about this "upgrade" that I don't like. The biggest thing is the $40 to re-install the above programs, in addition to $72 to upgrade parallels. Overall, this is turning out to be more expensive than a Windows upgrade!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You did follow thew advice to backup everything to say an external drive prior to the upgrade? If so simply use Migration Assistant to move them over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's hard to understand what happened to cause applications to disappear. Upgrading the OS should have no effect on your installed applications. In other words, sadly, you did something you weren't supposed to do. And it's highly doubtful that it's a problem that Apple caused within OSX. The upgrade will work fine as long as everything on your computer is where it should be.

OP
L
Reaction score
It's hard to understand what happened to cause applications to disappear. Upgrading the OS should have no effect on your installed applications. In other words, sadly, you did something you weren't supposed to do. And it's highly doubtful that it's a problem that Apple caused within OSX. The upgrade will work fine as long as everything on your computer is where it should be.

toMACsh, thanks, but I didn't do anything that I wasn't supposed to... and everything on my computer was where it should have been.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's hard to understand what happened to cause applications to disappear.

It depends. If he upgraded direct from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, then every PPC coded program would disappear. Been there done that when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It depends. If he upgraded direct from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, then every PPC coded program would disappear. Been there done that when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion. ;)

Ah, yes, the missing information.... Good theory there. Even though I still use Leopard, I assume most people are updating every time. Probably not the best assumption.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.