Mountain Lion install via USB DRIVE

Reaction score
Ok, so i got my macbook pro 13inch mid 2011, without any operative system on it(Earlier Snow Leopard). I got an USB drive 8gb with mountain lion, but when the installer starts an error message pops up and says, error on disc (Mac OS X) and it can not be repaired, ive tried to repair it trough disc utility, with no luck, and it is starting to annoy me.... plz help, ive been trying to fix this for days....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i5 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, 240GB OWC SSD + 1TB Apple HD
Fastest solution would be to install SL again (don't put your stuff back on it, just the OS is fine since you're about to delete it again anyway) using the disks that came with your MacBook Pro, reformat the USB drive, and re-create the bootable ML drive as per these instructions. I used that exact method/webpage to install ML on both my iMac and MacBook Pro - the only difference being I had a 16GB USB drive.

Boot from the USB drive into the ML installer and erase your Mac's hard drive - format to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Once complete, install ML to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case, use another Mac to create your bootable USB drive, or visit an Apple store.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have made an bootable disc drive with ML... But do i need to make on with SL?, and how do i do that, when my other mac was installed via Disc and are now upgraded to ML via appstore

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, so i deleted my old partition and made a new one, but now when the installer starts, its says could not install ML, try again... Plz help its been like a week now since my mac worked

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok, so i got my macbook pro 13inch mid 2011, without any operative system on it(Earlier Snow Leopard). I got an USB drive 8gb with mountain lion, but when the installer starts an error message pops up and says, error on disc (Mac OS X) and it can not be repaired, ive tried to repair it trough disc utility, with no luck, and it is starting to annoy me.... plz help, ive been trying to fix this for days....

If the hard drive in your MBP is having problems, no amount of jockeying around with partitions or reinstalling is going to work. The solution is to replace the defective (if it is defective) hard drive first and then install Mountain Lion from the flash drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
No, it worked totally fine before, and when i verify the disc now, its says its ok... but it wont install :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Quick question. Was the original Mountain Lion download a redeemed version for another Mac? For example I got ML on a free redeemed basis, but it will only install on my model iMac, it is not the full edition one would purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds to me like the installer you've created is corrupt. Simply make a new installer on your USB stick using any other Mac you have access to.

Once you've re-created the installer, boot to it, reformat your Mac hard drive, and install on the resulting partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
J
Reaction score
Still wont work... error message, problem with the install... btw im reading my install log, any idea how to screenshot it or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Step-by-step to re-create your USB installer, in the hope that it will fix the problem:

1. Grab your USB drive and go to a working Mac
2. Turn on the Mac, then plug it in
3. Open the Mac App Store, login to the account you used to purchase ML
4. Download ML then close the installer when it opens
5. Now follow all of these instructions (except downloading ML...you've just done that) and then come back to this page
6. Once you've made the USB installer, remove it from the Mac - make sure you eject the USB drive by right-clicking and clicking 'eject', or dragging it to the trash can before you unplug it
7. Now go to your MacBook Pro, plug in the USB
8. Turn the Mac on and hold down 'option', or 'alt', then select the USB drive to boot into
9. Run disk utility before doing the install - completely erase your Mac's hard drive and format to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
10. Now install on the new Macintosh HD partition (or whatever you called it)

Reaction score
they must have deleted my post cause they thought it was regarding warez, but i was under the impression that your allowed to mountain lion on all of your household computer with just one license. Everything i've seen so far says that is legal with apple's new agreement. So my question is, if i install this on multiple macs in my household, will there be any ill effects or will it be any different at all than buying another copy per machine.

ps, mods if you wish to delete this post, please pm me with an explanation.

OP
J
Reaction score
Andy the thing is when i choose to boot from the usb drive, the installer start automatically and i cant stop it... and then the error message comes up. But the first time i put the usb drive in the mac, the mac did like a preparation for the install. but i havent seen that "preparation thing afterwards" even after ive deleted my hdd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A bit off-topic, but yes, a purchase of Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store is licensed for all Macs that you personally own.

Andy the thing is when i choose to boot from the usb drive, the installer start automatically and i cant stop it... and then the error message comes up. But the first time i put the usb drive in the mac, the mac did like a preparation for the install. but i havent seen that "preparation thing afterwards" even after ive deleted my hdd

It sounds like you haven't tried making the USB installer again. Please follow the steps in my previous post. It really sounds like your installer is screwed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.