Mac Pro Bootcamp w/2 drives?

Reaction score
After crashing my year old macbook pro about 10 times working on a logic project this weekend, and wanting a Windows gaming desktop for a while now, I'm strongly considering getting a Mac Pro, and throwing 2 2tb SATA drives in it and trying to run bootcamp with OSX on one drive and Win7 on the other.

Anyone have any experience running bootcamp like this? does it run well? I've heard iffy things about bootcamp so far and just wondering if it's not even worth it or if anyone's having decent success and stability running it like this?

Any known bugs running Win7 on a Mac Pro?

Guess I'm looking for someone to talk me into or out of it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After crashing my year old macbook pro about 10 times working on a logic project this weekend, and wanting a Windows gaming desktop for a while now, I'm strongly considering getting a Mac Pro, and throwing 2 2tb SATA drives in it and trying to run bootcamp with OSX on one drive and Win7 on the other.

Why spend a whole bunch of $$$ on a Mac Pro to use it as a gaming machine? Just buy a Windows gaming machine or build one yourself for a great deal less.

Of course that's up to you.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
For quite a while I ran with it on a Mac Pro. I had OSX on my main drive which I used for daily tasks, video work, some OSX gaming, programming, etc., then 2 data drives and the third drive was my Windows bootcamp drive that I used for gaming.

The biggest issue is the GPU. The Mac Pro is quite powerful for gaming but the GPU's that Apple sells currently are rather far behind in capabilities. It is possible to get some other models of GPU's that will work in the Mac Pro with current versions of OSX and some people have a cheap card to display in OSX and a better card for gaming in windows.

Unless you really need the horsepower of a Mac Pro for what you do in OSX (I can't really comment, I've never used Logic) you may want to consider a less expensive Mac for your OSX work and as Chscag suggests put the extra money towards a gaming powerhouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.