how to unblock plug ins

Reaction score
After installing new up dates the other day there was something to do with Adobe and now i can't open links on the internet.What do I have to do to get it back to normal?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need a bit more info: Did you recently install an update to, or install the Adobe PDF Reader? The Adobe Reader has a bad habit of making itself the default PDF reader for Safari and Firefox and disables Preview. Let us know what it is that you did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
This may sound dumb but you have rebooted?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Safari now blocks plugins if they're out of date. If you find yourself with a blocked plugin, download the latest version and install that.

Reaction score
BLocked Java plug-in

I am using gotomypc to access my work computer and a message saying blocked plug-in pops up. Then a drop down box prompting me to install latest version of Java shows up. I did the install twice and rebooted and still get the blocked plug in message. What do I need to do?

M

MacInWin

Apple remotely blocked the Java plug-in today. Oracle has apparently NOT fixed the security hole that was found last month.

Reaction score
Blocked Java plug-in

Is there a work-around so that I could go ahead and use gotomypc?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Use a different browser (such as Firefox or Opera - no Chrome though since it won't load the Java plugin).

C

chas_m

That likely won't work -- I believe the Java web plugin is blocked for ALL browsers, though I haven't tested it.

Because of the severity of the security problem (sigh -- AGAIN) in Java, there's not much you can do until Oracle deigns to release yet another patch, which presumably they are working on ...

I'm happy that I don't have ANY Java dependencies in either my regular sites or programs that I'm aware of. I keep Java up-to-date just in case its ever needed, but so far it's stayed disabled from one of the previous times it was deemed dangerous to use it (which has happened A LOT over the last few years).

As for people who need for stuff like LogMeIn, you may want to start looking for an alternative program that doesn't rely on Java -- or get used to "outages" like this, cuz this won't be the last ...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The XProtect system that Safari depends on is Safari only. Any other mechanisms to block plugins are browser dependent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.