jumping screen iMac 27", scrolling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27", MacBookPro, Ipad2, iPhone4
NEWER iMac 27", magic mouse, magic pad: screen jumps back "up" when trying to scroll down a page. :[Tried mouse setting, etc and no luck. NEED advise how to stop this annoying "feature". HELP! PLEASE:Oops:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Is this within an application, like are you browsing in Safari and finding it jump? Or are you referring to the fact that you have to have to slide up on the mouse/track pad to scroll down and slide down to scroll up? You can change that "natural" scrolling in the mouse setting if that's what it is..

OP
woody2shoes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
screen jumping

Dont know enough about MAC lingo to tell without sounding dumber than I am, but, here goes: when viewing a page when i get down to bottom of screen and try to scroll further down, the screen jumps back UP. also I notice the box that highlights text like when the danged sound is ON also jumps at the same time the screen jumps, even sideways.

when I tried to reply here, the screen jumped also so had to slowly, carefully scroll down just enough to be able to click the "reply" button.

Could it be something with the danged setting of the "voice over" setting or whatever that obnoxious voice says when it is "so called reading" the screen for you? I HATE that!!

Thanks for helping'1

Kelly

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Starting with Lion, a few of the Apple applications (like Safari and Mail) have some iOS like features when it comes to scrolling. If you've ever used an iOS device you'll find that when you are scrolling around and come to the end and scroll past it, it will scroll but once you release your finger, the screen will jump up or down and stay at the top or bottom.

Lion and Mountain Lion continue this trend. However, the jumping is more of an cosmetic thing and should just stop at the end. So Chrome, for example, will just stop scrolling once you reach the end with, but Safari will pretend to scroll and once you stop trying to scroll further it will bounce back to the end, but the end result should be the same, you should be at the end of the page. If that isn't happening, then that's a different story.

As far as reading and highlighting text goes, that's most likely because you have user accessibility enabled and it's reading thing aloud. Go to System Preferences->Accessibility and turn off the voice-over feature and see if that makes it better..

OP
woody2shoes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks bunches! The scrolling/jumping QUIT!! Turned off the voice=over crapola feature and all APPEARS to work better!! APPRECIATE quick assists!!

OP
woody2shoes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
new question as to how to make cursor arrow SMALLER.... it blocks out some of the words when mousing over clickability items.............

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
new question as to how to make cursor arrow SMALLER.... it blocks out some of the words when mousing over clickability items.............

That's another "Universal Access" setting (just like the earlier issue). Go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Universal Access
- click on the "Mouse & Trackpad" tab
- then check & adjust the "Curser Size" setting

- Nick

OP
woody2shoes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, am using mtn lion and "curer size" does not appear, at least where I am LQQKn.

Forgot to say my vision is NOT the best but do NOT use visual aids other than trifocals when eyes are blurry.

thanks, again everyone!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Moutain Lion, go to the Display section once you've entered the Accessibility preferences and you will see the cursor size there. Look at the image below for reference..

ML.Accessibility.1.png

OP
woody2shoes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DONE DID DONE IT... IT WORKED...

WOW... so many places to LQQKsee for answers.... So much to learn about Apple stuff....

Appreciate everyones helps!!!!

Reaction score
Jumping screen

I have the same problem but as a blind computer user I need voice over on. Turning it off does solve the problem with the screen jumping to the top while scrolling but I need voice over on at all times. So, is there any other suggestions? I am using a Mac book Pro. thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.