New to apple. Macbook Air Current Vs old. and Vs Pro

Reaction score
i dont know much about Macs but i am slowly learning. I dont do hardcore stuff on a computer. maybe crop a picture here or there and watch some videos..mainly internet surfing and facebook. Since my current sony laptop is going to die here soon iv been thinking of a mac. So here are my questions

Im learning towards the MacBook Air because of the price with a Solid state drive for speed. The 128gb is fine as i can setup a NAS with little problem. But what about last years model of the Air. Can i still get it? and for what price? What are the differences between these models? Note that i would want the 8gb of ram just for future software upgrade needs.

What would the performence difference be between the Air and Pro? aside from the solid state vs normal harddrive. If i go with a Pro i will get the 15in

Also, facebook. Can i still play facebook games or will i need to install windows on an emulator. and would i open my computer up to hacks since windows always has security issues?

Im sure ill have more questions..so be gentle :)

i also know my company gets a discount. is a normal discount around $100 or something? (so i was told)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Sure you can, complete with a full Apple warranty - look at the refurbs on apple.com. No possibility of memory beyond the 2011 limit of 4 GB though, they simply did not offer 8GB until the 2012's.

Have no idea what Apple discount there may to your company. You can always use Windows software on a MAC OS X machine using Parallels, Boot Camp, or other. You may give up half of the 128 GB drive to do so so you may want a bit larger SSD to work with.

My 2011 11" MBA (4 GB memory) is four times faster than my 2010 15" MBP (8 GB memory) . My 2012 13" MBA (8 GB memory) is fully eight times faster than the MBP.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sure you can, complete with a full Apple warranty - look at the refurbs on apple.com. No possibility of memory beyond the 2011 limit of 4 GB though, they simply did not offer 8GB until the 2012's.

Have no idea what Apple discount there may to your company. You can always use Windows software on a MAC OS X machine using Parallels, Boot Camp, or other. You may give up half of the 128 GB drive to do so so you may want a bit larger SSD to work with.

My 2011 11" MBA (4 GB memory) is four times faster than my 2010 15" MBP (8 GB memory) . My 2012 13" MBA (8 GB memory) is fully eight times faster than the MBP.

thanks for the reply. Iv decided on this years model because of the ram. and i found out you really can update the SSD so the smallest one will be fine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.