Wiping out HD after logic-board failure..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb
Hi, I'm pretty disgusted to say that my g3 800mhz iBook's LB has failed again. Instead of going through all of the hassle to replace it (again,) I decided just to sell it for parts since it has maxed-out RAM, 40gb HD, airport card, an extra battery (new) and tons of other stuff. I figure I could get a couple hundred by scrapping it, or selling it as/is. However, I have NO way of wiping out my harddrive. How would I be able to do this without using the iBook? I don't have any other mac laptops, so I'm clueless... any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
With the fried logicboard, the only way would be taking out the harddisk, connecting it to another computer (requires 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter) and then you can format it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Avalon said:
With the fried logicboard, the only way would be taking out the harddisk, connecting it to another computer (requires 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter) and then you can format it.
Darn, I thought so... hmm. Maybe I'll rip out my old HD from my iPod that has OS X installed on it... would that work, are they the same size drives?

D

DigitalN.

JBarbier said:
Darn, I thought so... hmm. Maybe I'll rip out my old HD from my iPod that has OS X installed on it... would that work, are they the same size drives?
definately wouldn't work.

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be an Apple laptop to erase the HD. If you know someone with a Dell that would be good, they usually make it really easy to get to the HD.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JBarbier said:
on second though... i just hooked up my ipod and attempted to reinstall os x onto the ipod... maybe my harddrive is bad and NOT my logic board? Possible? The harddisks do make a VERY large amount of noise when I attempt to restart... maybe that is why when it asked me where I wanted to install OS X, it only showed my ipod and didn't show my ibook's HD... possible? What do you think?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, when i restart and hold command+s (i don't know what the name for this control mode is) and I try to run fsck -fy it gives me an I/0 error on disks05 or something obscure like that... maybe it IS a bad hd after all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yeah, when the HD doesn't show up on the install screen, that is usually a good sign that the HD has gone south.
I would suggest trying a new HD first, before you decide to get rid of the iBook yet.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I'm trying to install os x on my ipod and see what happens... if that works, is there any way where I can check the status of my internal hard drive? I swear, if I get this working, I'm selling it and getting a powerbook ;)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, strangely OS X recognizes my internal hard drive and all files are intact! Why then did it not recognize it during installation? This is quite strange!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.