transferring files

Reaction score
I want to transfer a few select voice memo files from my ipod touch to my imac. Of course, on with PC devices, I just select the files I want to move and drag and drop them on to the computer drive. A BREEZE.

Now I guess I need to uncover the mystery of how to do this with my ipod. Since it doesn't show up on Finder, I assume the only way I can do a transfer is with a sync. That scares me, because I don't want to "sync", I want to transfer a few files. That's right, I don't want my ipod an imac walking hand in hand with all the same files. I don't want them in "sync." I want my ipod to have some files that my imac doesn't and I want my imac to have some files that my ipod doesn't, and I want an easy way to do this, like on a PC. Does it exist?

I thought I might chalk that up as a pipe dream and instead just transfer all my voice memos by going to iTunes, clicking on Music, checking "include voice memos," and then choosing "Selected playlists, artists... " and then hope it lets me *not* select anything. But those options are greyed out and the only option is the "Sync Music" box. Okay, so I try that to see if it will activate the other options. But no, what I get instead is a warning telling me that all existing content on my iPod will be removed and replace with songs from my iMac. So so much for moving files that way.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well, after spending about as much time as this guy, at least I finally got my frustration released with laughter. He was right on the money. I may just have to switch back. I got the iMac Dec 2012 for my mother because I figured it would be more secure. Unfortunately, she never really got to use it, and I inherited it. The ipod is such a great device in terms of being able to hop on wifi when I need it, study flashcards, make voice memos and take photos, I figured I'd probably stay with mac products because it would somehow be easy to work between them. But file management is so ridiculous, I haven't even put any music on my ipod, one of the main things I thought I would be using it for.

At any rate, I still haven't figured out how to get my voice memos to my imac because it keeps telling me it not only isn't going to transfer them, it is going to erase them and replace them with whatever's on my imac. I finally just deleted all the music from my imac so I could at least avoid slamming my ipod with a ton of files that I don't want on there and would apparently never get rid of anyway. I'll probably end up scheduling a genius bar appointment and haul this imac and ipod in and let them show me.

C

chas_m

I'm sorry its not obvious to you, but I suspect that once the Genius shows you how to do it, you'll consider it much more obvious than you do now. :)

Rule 1: Your Mac is not a PC. Don't try to make it be one. (not saying you are, just a reminder to "Think Different.")

Reaction score
I'm sorry its not obvious to you, but I suspect that once the Genius shows you how to do it, you'll consider it much more obvious than you do now. :)

Rule 1: Your Mac is not a PC. Don't try to make it be one. (not saying you are, just a reminder to "Think Different.")

This is a similar question I have with my new Imac. I have some voice recording files from a digital recorder that I would like to be able to archive and possibly play on my Imac. I tried to store them in a folder in documents but every time I try to play them they end up synched in Itunes with my music files.It is probably pretty easy but it really escapes me, I hate to call Apple tech support for something that is probably easy to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.