Coffee spill on Macbook question.

Reaction score
To start off. Hi, Im Chris, and Im new here. Ive come with a problem.

So, a early yesterday, I spilled a small amount of iced coffee on my macbook model a1342. By small amount, I mean that I was getting up to dump out the last 1/2" of ice/coffee mixture, and dropped it. Probably a tablespoon at most of liquid. I turned it off, and flipped it upside down, with the back off to dry. Today, it wouldnt turn on, so I brought it in to the apple store. They got it to turn on, but the keyboard is toast. It doesnt send the right commands when I hit most of the keys. The computer seems to be working fine though.

Now for my question. Im assuming I need an upper case replacement. Does that sound right? Im going on the assumption that the power button is part of the upper case.

When I pulled the bottom cover off, I didnt see any coffee. How likely is it that no coffee got under the upper case? Do you think any problems Im going to have would have shown up by now, or could ,my logic board be moments away from dying a fiery death?

Would the replacement be doable by myself? Im a novice at computer repairs, but very mechanically capable. I repair my own car (correctly), and have some experience with small electronics in guitar effects pedals. Im just not too used to the idea of a phillips screwdriver smaller than a #2. Lol. I think I could do it, but I dont know if there are any surprises waiting for me.

Thanks for reading.

OP
A
Reaction score
I had looked at that. I don't want to turn it off again though because the power button won't work to turn it back on.

The Apple store was of no help. They said my keys were sticky, and didn't work(oh, really now?) and that water damage repair was $755. Even if I had that money, I wouldn't spend it repairing a 2 year old, discontinued computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Expensive lesson, that. For your next machine may I suggest one of the dozens of different keyboard covers? Amazon's at $8 each live on my MBP, and two MBAs.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, good news, and bad news. I took the logic board out, and it didnt have any coffee on it. None made it through to the disk drive either. Just some dust, which promptly got blown away.

However, I had to short the board to turn it back on. Oh well, I can live with replacing the upper case a lot easier than replacing the logic board.

Anyone know where to get an upper case cheap? Also, anything I should look for in a tri-wing screw driver?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anyone know where to get an upper case cheap? Also, anything I should look for in a tri-wing screw driver?

eBay. The screwdriver can be found at Lowes or Home Depot tool center or from the folks at ifixit.com. By the way, you might want to use the step by step guides at ifixit to replace the upper case.

OP
A
Reaction score
Home Depot? Really? I guess Ill have to go check it out.

And I was planning to use their guide. I used it to remove the logic board earlier. I wish repair manuals I use for cars were half as complete.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Myself if this had happened to me and my system was two years old, I would just move on to a new computer and try not spilling anything on it again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not everyone can afford to buy a new system though. And it appears his can be fixed with a new top case and some do it yourself repairs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.