my imac lags for gaming

Reaction score
I play alot of games on my mac like Arma 2, portal and call of duty. However, when I do play games like this they tend to lag alot. I have done some research(creating threads on other mac forums) and someone said to me that A: I need more RAM(Which I can do on my own easily) and B: I need to overclock my quad i5 core processor from 2.5 GHz to 2.7 GHz(not sure how to do this). Obviously this is just one opinion and I am open to any other suggestions to making my games run smoother. If overclocking works....how do i do it? Macs doesn't have the BIOS that PCs do so i am limited there. If overclocking doesn't work, what do i do? I am a little aggrevated because I bought parallels on my mac so I could run Windows 7 on my mac to play the games that are exclusive to windows. This costed $300 dollars for everything(Including Windows 7 plus the parallels service. And yes I looked at the specs for these games before I bought Windows and everything checked out ok. The reason I am using parallels instead of bootcamp is because it wont let me connect to the internet on bootcamp and the screen resolution is all messed up.

Specs:

2.5 GHz i5 quad core

8 GB of RAM(4 GB for Windows on parallels)

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB

Windows 7 64 bit home premium/Mac OSX lion

Thank you for your time and your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Perhaps the best solution was an install via BootCamp for gaming. My 2.76 iMac sees all 12GB running Ultimate. When you say you cannot connect to the 'net, after downloading and burning drivers to CD on a couple of machines no problems at all connecting.

In fact Windows connects automatically on startup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.