How to extract file inside old PowerPC app?

Reaction score
I have a photoshop plugin that is in an old PowerPC install app, which of course I can't run in Mountain Lion. I can't even see the app contents to try to extract the plugin. Does anyone know of a software that can get to this plugin and extract it so I can try to manually install it? So far my searches have not turned up anything that can do it, and the developer apparently no longer supports the product. :(

Help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am personally not aware of such an app. My bet is that the plugin is PowerPC code as well. You might check the manufacturer's website. Some plugins existed in Universal binary form. The newer plugin may or may not work with your existing license key.

OP
S
Reaction score
Their site says the plugin is compatible with Photoshop CS5. I just can't get TO the plugin because its install file is too old to run on my system. I've got two emails into their Support with no response. I was hoping I could somehow extract the plugin and manually install it, but had not considered that the plugin itself might not be compatible. Oh well! Thanks Slydude :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pacifist?
Maybe but that probably depends upon whether the rest of the plugin is Universal Binary or not. I think all it would be able to do though is get the installer file on the hard drive. From there you might at least be able to look at the rest of the files to see if they are Intel or not.

@Sam_A I should have asked earlier which plugin is this? That might give us a few ideas.

OP
S
Reaction score
The plugin is EtchTone by Andromeda Software.

I tried Pacifist but no luck :(

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When it comes to your issue that "help" site is virtually useless. If you ever get a response from them and the installer won't work, it might be worth asking whether you qualify for the upgrade price rather paying full price. I think I saw a note on the site about upgrading from earlier versions involved purchasing the upgrade and using the existing license code/info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.