crucial ssd for mbp

Reaction score
I've just bought a crucial ssd that comes with a data transfer kit consisting of a usb lead and data cloning cd. Is it sensible to use the cd as it comes from the ssd manufacturer, or would it be better to clean install from bootable dvd?

Reaction score
I wouldn't use the data cloning CD at all. If you want to clone, just use SuperDuper!

That said, I would do a clean install of my OS and manually transfer over my docs and stuff.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks,

Just to check, to clean install whilst ssd is still external

Conect ssd via usb, load dvd then restart mac? Hold option key and select ssd when given the option?

Once ive done this, then use migration assiss to transfer apps etc.

I want to have the ssd fully configured prior to opening up my mbp

Cheers

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter if you do it while it is internal or external.

Well, I wouldn't use migration assistant - I'd do it manually.

Well, in that case, you'll need to install the OS before you install the drive :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Thanks,

Conect ssd via usb, load dvd then restart mac? Hold option key and select ssd when given the option?

Cheers
It is easy to use carbon copy clone, clone to ssd externally, test SSD by holding option key while restart, if it works switch the drives, this way you know the ssd works, without
opening up your mbp.
And using the osx installer same routine holds option key while restart, install osx to internal SSD drive, you should be in business.
A piece of hint if you have Mountain lion to clone, CCC will charge you, if you have Lion in the internal drive will be free. Another words clone with Lion osx will be free on regular drive, install the ML osx on the ssd when it becomes internal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.