Looking to upgrade my iMac 17" Late 2006

Reaction score
So, I decided to take a look at and fix my iMac recently as sort of a fun, inexpensive(hopefully), project. Basically the computer was sitting at the grey screen with the apple and doing nothing. After many further tests, I figured out that it was the logic board. So I got on eBay and purchased a used one for $78 including shipping. So after I installed it, I decided to go ahead and go with the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 500gb hard drive. New egg had them on sale for 69.99 a few days ago and I had to take it :D!! I also just purchased 2 sticks of 1 gb ddr2 pc2-5300 ram. I am thinking about returning them and grabbing either 1 2gb stick and using my current 1 gb stick to make a total of 3 gbs of ram. Or just getting 2x 2gb sticks.

I am also VERY interested in upgrading my processor. It says that the current processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz processor, and I want just a little more speed than that. What do you guys suggest as far as upgrades go?

My real question is how can I max out this computer, and how much more will it cost me. So far I have around 200.00 invested roughly. (Including the 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor for the hard drive and other small dents in the road).

Let me know!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am also VERY interested in upgrading my processor. It says that the current processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz processor, and I want just a little more speed than that. What do you guys suggest as far as upgrades go?

Nothing. The processor and video hardware are not upgradeable.

My real question is how can I max out this computer, and how much more will it cost me. So far I have around 200.00 invested roughly. (Including the 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor for the hard drive and other small dents in the road).

Careful how much you spend. Your iMac is not worth as much as you may think. If you spent too much...with the same money...you could buy something newer, better, faster.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Ya I have only spent 200 and its running well now. Probably wont spend anymore than that now. It is still a pretty decent computer. Basically a 2007 model.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ya I have only spent 200 and its running well now. Probably wont spend anymore than that now. It is still a pretty decent computer. Basically a 2007 model.

A local Craig's List seller that I know is selling these 17" 2006-2007 iMacs for $199. In fact I think that he's selling the 2.0ghz version.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
True, this imac was given to me and I am currently using a brand new summer of 2012 macbook air thats super fast ahaha..so I am just using this as a fun project to restore and use for browsing and maybe play a few games on etc..ive only invested about 220 in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.