iMac G4 not recognizing any windows install sources

Reaction score
iMac4,1 not recognizing any windows install sources

Hey guys, I have an iMac4,1 with an Intel Core Duo processor with a speed of 1.83GHz and a RAM 512mb. I recently upgraded to leopard 10.5.8 and wanted to install a copy of windows 7. when using bootcamp I created the partition but the assistant did not recognize my Windows 7 cd.

I also have an iso of windows and a bootable usb but none of these are recognized by the iMac. I've read around that say the PowerPC can't preform this task but my intel-based seems incapable as well.

I also can't boot from either the usb or cd from startup manager (holding option) as neither show up only the macintosh HD.

How can I get my iMac4, 1 to recognize any source of installation of windows 7 into the partition I created.

The iMac4,1 came out before windows 7 but I should be able to boot from these devices or run the install, none of which I can do.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it has an Intel Core Duo CPU it's NOT an iMac G4. An iMac G4 is a OLD Power PC CPU and will not natively run Windows because it's not an X86 CPU.

Are you sure your iMac has an Intel CPU? Also where did you get the Windows DVD? Windows 7 will NOT boot from any Memory Stick nor USB drive. Microsoft says so. Just tried it the other day when upgrading a system to save time.

Is your Windows 7 a Factory DVD from Microsoft or some downloaded copy? Any Intel Mac will boot from a Proper Windows DVD/CD.

OP
M
Reaction score
sry about that it's a iMac4,1 not a G4. when i click about this mac it says 1.83Ghz Intel Core Duo

The cd is written from an iso download from the Microsoft website

so there is no way to boot from the cd or usb on the iMac4,1

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If the ISO is a legal download from Microsoft, then something you did burning it was wrong or went wrong. Can you tell exactly how you made the DVD? What Application did you use, settings? That Mac will for sure boot from a Properly made Windows CD/DVD. I hope you did not just Copy the ISO to the DVD as that will not boot on any machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.