Trying to free up disk space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro1,1 2x2 Intel Dual-Core, 2 GB 667MHz DDR2, OS X 10.6.8; MacBook Pro, High Sierra 10.13.6
My PowerPC G3 only has a 10GB HD, 3GB free. I noticed that in the Startup Disk options I have the option to start the system using 9.x - I assume that means the original/old OS is still on the HD... I don't have any reason to start the iBook in v9... I'm on 10.3.9 now and am looking for a set of retail install disks... so here's my question:

How can I, or should I, get rid of 9.x and free up some of my disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
First of all, confirm your hunch. I've never had more than one OS installed on one computer, but... I think if you go into System Preferences > Startup Disk you should be able to tell if you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The system folder for OS9 typically takes up a few 10s of MB, so its not your main issue, but can be deleted if you dont ever run classic apps and only use OSX apps. Its usually called System Folder, note there is another folder called System that is part of OSX and should be left alone

OP
moot4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro1,1 2x2 Intel Dual-Core, 2 GB 667MHz DDR2, OS X 10.6.8; MacBook Pro, High Sierra 10.13.6
First of all, confirm your hunch. I've never had more than one OS installed on one computer, but... I think if you go into System Preferences > Startup Disk you should be able to tell if you do.
Yes, I have two options for startup - Mac OS X, 10.3.9 on Macintosh HD and Mac OS 9.2.2 on Macintosh HD
I believe 10.3.9 was the last version that allowed this...

The system folder for OS9 typically takes up a few 10s of MB, so its not your main issue, but can be deleted if you dont ever run classic apps and only use OSX apps. Its usually called System Folder, note there is another folder called System that is part of OSX and should be left alone

I don't run any classic apps. I was able to get back about 1.4GB by deleting folders that were 'name 9', i.e., Applications (Mac OS 9), Desktop (Mac OS 9), etc...

It appears all I have left that references OS 9 is the folder System Folder (has a 9 on the folder image) and the entry in Startup Disk named Mac OS 9.2.2 on Macintosh HD.

What would be the preferred way to delete them? Should I delete System Folder first (and that will take care of the Startup Disk entry for OS 9) or delete the OS 9 entry in Startup Disk and then the System Folder?

Also, what should be the approximate size used by a clean install of 10.3.x?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you are going for a clean install, then simply get all your files off from the Mac and go ahead. A clean install will not install oS9 or any of its applications. A clean install of Panther will be pretty small

OP
moot4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are going for a clean install, then simply get all your files off from the Mac and go ahead. A clean install will not install oS9 or any of its applications. A clean install of Panther will be pretty small

I have to find some Mac OS 10.3.x installation CD's to do a 'clean' install. Even if I get the retail CD's how am I going to get updates to put me back to 10.3.9?

Until I get a set of CD's I want to keep using this iBook - it's small, light, and has enough to get me on the internet, get my email, just the basics. When I'm touring on the bike, it's perfect... beats putting out a few $hundred$ for anything else... and one of the best things, I don't have to worry about viruses! (public places are soooo dirty)

What about deleting the v9 option in Startup Disk and the System Folder question?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm almost certain once you delete the system folder that has a 9 in the name and restart the computer the OS 9 option disappears from the preference pane. If not I don't think it takes up any significant disk space.

OP
moot4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm almost certain once you delete the system folder that has a 9 in the name and restart the computer the OS 9 option disappears from the preference pane. If not I don't think it takes up any significant disk space.

Well I just tried to move System Folder to the Trash and got a message that 'The operation cannot be completed because item "System Folder" is required by the System'

Whoops...

And I tried to trash the OS 9 in Startup Disk and right-click did not even bring up a sub-menu - could not drag to trash...

Guess its stuck to OS 10?

Looks like I will have to get another drive, take this little bugger apart and do a install of 10.3.x
Still hoping for some suggestions on what drive I should look for... and can I get a combo optical to put in while I'm in there?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I was a bit confused since I am sure that it can indeed be removed. After doing a little reading I think the reason it cannot be put in the trash is that the system is using it. If you were booted from another drive I bet it would work.

I did find these directions for removing it. I suggest reading all of the comments before trying it. I think one of them has a suggestion for removing it without using Terminal.

OP
moot4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was a bit confused since I am sure that it can indeed be removed. After doing a little reading I think the reason it cannot be put in the trash is that the system is using it. If you were booted from another drive I bet it would work.

I did find these directions for removing it. I suggest reading all of the comments before trying it. I think one of them has a suggestion for removing it without using Terminal.

Thank you for the link. I followed the original/first directions and it seems to have worked.
I now have 5.11GB available, 4.24GB used.
Used space still seems kind of high though... can you recommend a good cleaning utility?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.