processor speed macbook intel duo core vs core 2 duo vs i5... refurbished macs

slb

Reaction score
Hi,
I do design for work but need a personal computer for organizing tons of music, photos, videos, etc. The price point is so different between Macs and PCs but Macs are so much better, and what I use for work. I'm wondering if it's worth spending the $ for a Mac, given that I have a decent one at work to do design stuff on. Can someone please explain all these different kinds of processors? The Intel website doesn't touch on the Core 2 Duo or the Dual-Core Intel i...
I am by no means IT-inclined and my patience level wanes for these things.
Thanks,
Sharon

C

chas_m

Simply put, the i(odd number like 3, 5 or 7) series are more recent. They run somewhat faster (not mind-blowingly faster, but definitely faster), they are much more energy-efficient, and thus they also run cooler.

The Intel Core 2 Duo has proven itself a workhorse chip but is no longer the latest version, in fact the iX series is now on its second generation. If you want the best bang for the buck, you want the latest machines (as always). Be aware that you'll also want to upgrade the RAM sooner rather than later, so depending on what Mac you get you may want to either max out the RAM at the time of ordering (the MacBook Air, the MacBook Pros) or get third-party RAM and upgrade later yourself (Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro).

As for whether the Mac is worth it -- you said it yourself, they're much better. As you already have one at work, you already know that they are. It's what the design industry uses as standard, and that's certainly for a reason.

Reaction score
Hi, I do design for work
Design of anything in particular, or whatever someone may ask for (automobile, cash register, bridge, dam, quartz watch, t-shirt....)?

I'm wondering if it's worth spending the $ for a Mac, given that I have a decent one at work to do design stuff on. Can someone please explain all these different kinds of processors? The Intel website doesn't touch on the Core 2 Duo or the Dual-Core Intel i...
I am by no means IT-inclined and my patience level wanes for these things.
You can find the same processors in Macs as in Windows machines. With a Windows machine, you will typically get something for a lot cheaper. Unless you specifically want MacOS X (and nothing in your post suggests that you do), I think you may be better off with a Windows machine. Save your money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.