Mac as choice of graphic designers?

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a mac newbie... I've heard quite a lot of comments that Mac is the choice of most graphic designers when it comes to computers. Why exactly is that? Ease of use? Availability of good quality software? Better resolution? Other reasons? I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its more of a traditional thing, since technically, a windows PC is now more than capable of doing the job.

If you work in a design company the chances are you'll be using a Mac

In the nineties, macs had better support for color matching, and their screens are calibrated closer to print work than PCs (PC default to a TV gamma). The differences in support for print color workflow are now pretty much mute.

As for ease of use, I would say Macs are better, but that's my opinion.

If you want a Mac, then go for it, but if you are happy with your PC, then you can use the same software and fonts, and after all, its the ideas in your head that count, not the type of computer you use to realise your ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, 15 - 20 years ago there was a big difference. These days, the software is almost all identical (Apple manufactured software aside) and so too is the hardware. Since I don't use built in monitors for color critical work anyway, there isn't a difference to me in the panels even.

OP
T
Reaction score
Good points, Louishen, thank you.

I've actually gotten myself a 2012 MacBook Pro, after my PC gave up on me. It's my first mac, so I'm still feeling my way around, and getting used to windows-to-mac adjustments. The 'mac as choice of most graphic designers' comments got me thinking how I could make the most of using my new 'toy'.

Maybe one reason too is the sheer beauty of the graphical user interface - a far cry from that of Windows. ;P

Thank you too Dysfunction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi. I'm a mac newbie... I've heard quite a lot of comments that Mac is the choice of most graphic designers when it comes to computers. Why exactly is that? Ease of use? Availability of good quality software? Better resolution? Other reasons? I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Well...I used Mac for 6 or 7 years before starting my own business and it was my default choice. Reason...18 months later I've not had one day of downtime due to technical failure.

OP
T
Reaction score
That's great, pendlewitch! I sure hope to have that same good experience with my new MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
That's great, pendlewitch! I sure hope to have that same good experience with my new MacBook.

I hope so too tornjeans..all I can say is that it was the right decision for me and also that 27 inch screen is very receptive to architectural and engineering drawings :)

OP
T
Reaction score
I hope so too tornjeans..all I can say is that it was the right decision for me and also that 27 inch screen is very receptive to architectural and engineering drawings :)

Thank you pendlewitch... Best of luck with your business! :)

C

chas_m

Even if I agreed with my colleagues on the color matching, calibration and typography (and I don't), I think they would still agree with me that the Mac still has at least two big advantages over Windows PCs for graphic designers:

1. Graphic designers are, by trade, people with taste. They prefer a more elegant and tasteful OS. That makes the Mac the de facto choice.

2. Graphic designers are, IME, not techies. Some may have quite a lot of skill in those areas, but generally speaking artists and mechanics don't mix. So a very high priority for a graphic artist is to have a machine that is the most reliable, with an OS that gets out of the way and lets the designer focus. Again, I'd say (and have studies to back me up on this) that OS X continues to outperform Windows in this regard.

OP
T
Reaction score
Even if I agreed with my colleagues on the color matching, calibration and typography (and I don't), I think they would still agree with me that the Mac still has at least two big advantages over Windows PCs for graphic designers:

1. Graphic designers are, by trade, people with taste. They prefer a more elegant and tasteful OS. That makes the Mac the de facto choice.

2. Graphic designers are, IME, not techies. Some may have quite a lot of skill in those areas, but generally speaking artists and mechanics don't mix. So a very high priority for a graphic artist is to have a machine that is the most reliable, with an OS that gets out of the way and lets the designer focus. Again, I'd say (and have studies to back me up on this) that OS X continues to outperform Windows in this regard.

Thank you for your input, chas_m. I strongly agree! Amen to these!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
For me it was more the OS than hardware, but peecees have (remarkably) come very far to matching the mac's capabilities with regards to color matching workflow etc. But peecees have the stigma they haven't, just as macs have had for being -only- good for graphics.

People still believe those things even now.

The other advantage to me, is pretty much anyone else I get files, fonts etc from on a project, is going to be on a mac, so it makes it much easier in general.

OP
T
Reaction score
True, Groovetube. Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your feedback, they are much appreciated!

Reaction score
It's because of the consistency that Mac has gotten from Apple itself. They produce both the hardware and the software. On the other hand, Windows get to manage the software alone. SO the hardware basically depends on whatever manufactured the device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.