Syncing Android With Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
I recently got a Samsung GS3 and I'm pretty happy about it. The one place I am not is on the syncing with my computer especially regarding music. I listen to music a lot and iTunes is my main hub for doing so, I'm not really keen on changing.
So my question for you guys (Probably a very small amount of Android + Mac people out there), how do you sync your Android to your Mac?

I have tried Kies and it has crashed every time, I even managed to get a kernel panic out of it!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't sync music to my Android phone but I've heard that DoubleTwist can get the job done. There's also TuneSync.

OP
madwolfe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just tried DoubleTwist but it seems that my Mac cannot pick up my phone when it is in MTP mode. Maybe that's why everything is screwing up...

I'll try and uninstall Kies, it's really a shoddy piece of software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
vansmith recommended this in a previous post about android. Haven't tried it but this might help.
Android.com

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The Android File Transfer app is good for quick and easy file transfer but it won't help syncing an iTunes library. However, that's not to stop someone from using it to manually manage a music collection.

OP
madwolfe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I prefer the automation that you get with the iTunes filing system especially with playlists and ordering. I'm thinking I might just resort to creating a script that exports an iTunes playlist and then have that sync with my Android though the File Transfer app. I have already used that to get my essential music over already.

Still doesn't fix my problem with MTP, has anyone here experienced that before?

Thanks for the recommendations though guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA 2011, 1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB
I open two Finder windows. One I point to Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Music
The other, I point to the Music folder on my Android Razr Maxx.

Then, I simply copy/paste the folders or files that I that I want to transfer.

Probably not the most Apple-esque way to do things, but that's how I did it when I was using Linux, so it is what I was used to.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try TuneSync? It's designed to do exactly what you want.

Reaction score
Just use iSyncr. It works through USB or WiFi. Sync's to SD or Internal memory on the S3. iSyncr will synchronize ratings, playcounts sort by album, artists, genre even podcasts. WiFi has a really nice options like being able to sync photo's, and to set up a daily sync automatically. The developer also has a music player that allows changes made to playlists to be sync'd automatically back to iTunes.

Happy syncing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
I had a Motorola Droid (original) when it first came out in '09. Got an iPhone last June, so it's been well over a year since I've used Droid with my Mac... but I just pulled the microSD card out of the phone, used an adapter to USB and just manually put music on the SD card in the "music" folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.