Citrix/GoToMeeting Prob - Please Help

Reaction score
Hi. I use Citrix/GTM regularly for business, however I had a problem that resulted in my OSX being completely re-installed and now, the Citrix/GTM software isn't working and the help documents on the Citrix website are useless.

I'm using OSX Leopard 10.5.8 with both Firefox 14.0.1 and Safari 5.0.6.

When I used to click a GoToMeeting link for a webinar, the Citrix software would automatically load on the dock bar [yellow/black circle icon] and I'd join webinars effortlessly in seconds; but now instead of the software loading and my being able to join a webinar, my web browser opens and I get taken to this page: https://download.citrixonline.com/launcher2/download.html

When I open the "Citrix Online Launcher.app" nothing happens, as it closes immediately and I get the following warning message: "server identity not trusted. the certificate for the server builds.citrixonlinecdn.com appears invalid. connecting to the server could put your confidential information at risk." The help docs suggested installing a "Access Gateway.app" but this too says it cannot "detect a valid gateaway type"(?!?).

I never had this problem before my OS had to be re-installed - Citrix/GTM loaded fine and I joined webinars easy. My Firefox plugins seem up-to-date (although the browser was never needed as the webinars were in Citrix software). My "Java Preferences.app" have J2SE 1.4.2 & JSE 5.0 & Java SE 6 listed, so they seem up-to-date (nothing on the OSX Software Updater).

I'm not overly knowledgable about what files should or shouldn't be in certain locations in the Library and System Files area, so I don't know what to search for, add or delete - let alone how to "fix" this "security certificate" thing.

Has anyone had this problem? Please can someone advise on what I need to do to fix this, as without GoToMeeting software working, it's causing business problems and I don't know why. Please help!

Thanks, much appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is there any particular reason you're still running 10.5.x? You're actually 3 major revisions behind and many 3rd party developers aren't actively supporting it at this point. My guess is you're having some trouble getting a current client version following the clean install (because the old client version is no longer present, it's trying to download the most recent).

Also, the security certificate issues are interesting. Please check your time/date settings. Make sure time, date (particularly, year) and time zone are all correct.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi cwa107.

My time/date/zone settings are definitely all correct and accurate for what they should be (I've tried using other time zones etc in case it might make a difference, but it never did).

As for using 10.5.8 - my macbook is a 2008; system was fine previously and never needed to upgrade, everything worked that I needed. Recently I had a HDD failure and had to have a new one put in, hence the re-install of my OSX (technically a fresh install as the drive was new). Any suggestions on how to get an old Citrix client if possible?! Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If this were my machine, I would look at upgrading it to Snow Leopard (10.6) before all the old-stock copies are sold out and the price skyrockets as it did with Leopard. You'll see a substantial performance increase and being more current, with one of the most popular OS X versions, will mean better 3rd party support. But I digress - the choice is yours - I'm only harping on it because the timing is really good considering you have a nice, clean install right now.

It doesn't appear that Citrix makes older versions readily available on their site. If you have an active subscription, that should include individualized support. Have you tried contacting Citrix directly?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah when I spoke to Citrix, they basically just said to check the time/date settings as that was the reason for a security certificate issue, and make sure i am not blocking the connection with firewall settings or anything like that (I'm not too savvy with the technical stuff). I'm waiting on replies from Citrix when I updated my ticket with their support.

You may be right: might be best to upgrade my OSX. I know my macbook is a lil old and 2gb ram seems to be running a lot slower than it used to... when I can get the programs to work of course. Thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
(I forgot to ask - if I get Snow Leopard, do I need to format the HDD again, or just install it straight over Leopard? Thanks)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(I forgot to ask - if I get Snow Leopard, do I need to format the HDD again, or just install it straight over Leopard? Thanks)

Ideally, it's best to do a clean install. But yes, technically, you can upgrade right on top of Leopard - and I think you can get away with that because your current install is so clean. The problems tend to come into play when you've built up an excess of cruft over the years and then upgrade. But I think in your case, it would be a breeze to do a simple upgrade.

Just my $0.02. You can take that machine all the way up to Lion (10.7) if you wish. And it should be able to take 4GB of memory too. It's up to you how much you want to invest in it - it seems like you've already committed to a new HDD, might as well spend a little more to get it as up-to-date as possible.

OP
T
Reaction score
I got the HDD for free, so I'll try upgrading to SL if I can find a copy. Not sure I've the hardware to get the best out of Lion. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.