• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Did you get any Mac gear for Xmas?

Reaction score
to_tough_to_die said:
Well...

The sister got a 60 gig Black to replace her 20 gig 3rd gen (she got it repaired after the battery settlement, but the guys at Best Buy completely ****** it up, it's so scuffed you can't even see the screen).

Mom got my Dad a 4 gig, black, Nano.

And I ended up with $250 toward my 20" Apple external Display for my Powerbook.

So in all that's two 3rd gen 20 gigs, one 4th Gen 60 gig Photo, and two 4 gig Nanos, one black, and one white. That's 5 iPod and a top-of-the-line PowerBook... man Steve Jobs must love my family...

Not yet...steve is still waiting for your family to ALL subscribe to itnues music store....but wait...you need to get the isight too so you can also subscribe to the .Mac service. So...not so fast buddy!

:dummy:

Reaction score
Redbrick said:
Not yet...steve is still waiting for your family to ALL subscribe to itnues music store....but wait...you need to get the isight too so you can also subscribe to the .Mac service. So...not so fast buddy!

I'm confused. You don't need to be a .Mac member to use iChat's video confrencing features? In fact, iChat is as much use to an AIM user as it is to a .Mac user. The only feature, at least that I've noticed, that AIM accounts are lacking are secure chats.

Reaction score
djlee12 said:
I'm confused. You don't need to be a .Mac member to use iChat's video confrencing features? In fact, iChat is as much use to an AIM user as it is to a .Mac user. The only feature, at least that I've noticed, that AIM accounts are lacking are secure chats.

Not sure I understand your message, but my understanding and message is that I just discovered a .mac membership is required to effectively use ichat with isight.

You can use isight to do simple video recordings with QT.

Reaction score
Redbrick said:
It's intended capabilities....for steve to suck more $$$ out of us. That's my objection with ichat. The app is pratically useless unless you subscribe to the the ridiculous .Mac service. Yeah you could sign up for the free trial...but what good is trialware/crippleware? One should be able to use that ichat to logon to IRC channels at least or something of that nature...

In fact that concept of money grubbing has been my biggest gripe against apple. I love their hardware....they're all very beautiful as an object itself....and accept the premium price tag, but the hidden strings attached to them make them less appealing to me everyday. For instance...

ipod...steve really wants you to subscribe to itunes music store, but you don't have to...but it is more convenient.
ichat...steve really wants you to subscribe to .Mac service.
What's next? PB...steve really wants to charge you for switching it on???
It's getting ridiculous. Yeah, the're alternatives....but that's another story.

I got the new iMac g5 with built in iSight, the isight is pretty useless, other than for iChat and PhotoBooth.

And the remote is good but it is lacking features, have you seen some of the windows media centre remotes, you can do way more than the iMac remote, plus infrared (not bluetooth)(2006 now)

Over all though, great computer

OP
M
Reaction score
Redbrick said:
Not sure I understand your message, but my understanding and message is that I just discovered a .mac membership is required to effectively use ichat with isight.

You can use isight to do simple video recordings with QT.

Not true at all. You can use .mac or aim and still use video chat with isight. I don't have a .mac account but I use my aim chat with it and the video chat is great.

Reaction score
lets not complain about what are macs cant do, lets just hope that the intel mac have thoose features

N

nateklaiber

got a 23 inch cinema display, an iSight for me and my wife, and my wife bought me a 60GB video iPod. Also, upgraded my 17 in powerbook to 2GB of RAM.

It was a nice Christmas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Mactheknife said:
Not true at all. You can use .mac or aim and still use video chat with isight. I don't have a .mac account but I use my aim chat with it and the video chat is great.

Agreed. My free trial .Mac account expired, oh, 2 years ago now. I can do audio and video chat with iChat just fine without it.

Someone needs to learn a bit more about iChat before they start complaining.

G

G5MacMan

What To Do?

Happy New Year fellow Mac Users!
I am currently shopping for my belated desktop G5 present! It is time to move back to a desktop after using a Titanium 1GHz Powerbook for a few years. Just want something with more processing power when dealing with personal video, graphics and image-editing projects. Finding it hard to decide what to buy.
Apple has a great deal on refurbished Dual 2.7s' right now, or should I hedge my bet and go with one of the latest Dual Core models? Got to say @ $2100, the refurbished 2.7 seems to be the best bang for the buck considering its' processing power. I have had good luck with Apple refurbs in the past so that doesn't worry me. On the other hand, Dual Core is the future, right?

Wishing everyone a Happy 2006!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
baggss said:
Agreed. My free trial .Mac account expired, oh, 2 years ago now. I can do audio and video chat with iChat just fine without it.

So do I and all the time and even with Windows users if their end is set up right. :spook:

Agreed. iChat is a very good program and does not require a .mac account to use. If it did, why can I use all the features and do not have a .mac account? Did have a trial 2-3 years ago now but that is gone.

I just don't want new Mac users to think iChat will not work with aim and thaat they need .mac to use it's features.

Reaction score
baggss said:

Yeah, I knew you could you AIM as well, but I did not know you could use ichat without .Mac or AIM. If that's true, then awesome....I am glad for that. So then what's the point of the need to sign up for a .Mac account when I first started up ichat then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Here's something a little different. My dad got me a book called iCon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.