Power

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

This is my first post & am new here so forgive me if this question has been asked hundreds of times.

Quite new to Apple, got an IPad 2 last year (first apple product) & love it. Decided soon after that I was going to change to all apple.

First step was changing my old Dell to a new 13" Air. My question is do I leave it hooked up to the mains all the time or run it off the battery then charge when flat ? It will be mainly sitting on the breakfast bar in the kitchen at all times.

Thanks for any help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The charger of notebooks is smart enough to not continually charge the battery once it's reached full capacity such that you are running of mains at that point. However, in my experience, not going through a discharge/charge cycle will do a couple of things. 1) Throw off the calibration of internal battery gauge such that it won't be able to properly tell you how much capacity you have and will require you to go through a calibration cycle and 2) cause the battery to become lethargic (but this usually takes a long time) such that it won't hold a nice enough charge for any length of time.

I use my laptop at work plugged in ALL the time and when I got my laptop brand new, the battery would work for about 2.5 hours without any problems. A year or so later, it would hold a charge for about an hour and then recently it would hold it for about 10 minutes and died completely..

So my suggestion is that you use the notebook like a notebook and charge it when you reach some lower battery capacity.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That would concern me that after only a year the battery is only half as good as it was

Well yeah, but since the work laptop is a Dell, I am not surprised at all and this is not the first time it's happened.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.