PowerPoint Spell Check Problems

Reaction score
I have a MacBook and have Powerpoint 2003 and Powerpoint 2011. The spell check works fine on the 2003, but not on the 2011. I have checked the language and unchecked all the bothersome things like ignore Capitals. Nothing. No squiggly lines under misspelled words. AND if I try to spell check manually, it says spell check is complete, but it has not caught any misspelled words?? I must have something checked inadvertently in office or didn't download something that has this stalled. Any help appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about when you do a spell check in Word 2011? Also, you might want to check your Office preferences. Open preferences from Word or PP and go the section "Spelling & Grammar". Make sure that you have correctly checked the boxes and have designated a dictionary to use under the dictionaries option.

OP
G
Reaction score
More Info PP Spellcheck Problem

You may have revealed something important. I don't have Word 2011 installed. I only installed Powerpoint. I took Word 2011 off the computer because it took priority and every document I opened, opened in Word 2011. Another frustrating conundrum. :Mischievous:

Back to this: I looked in the PP section under spelling, but did not see anything about dictionaries. BTW, my PP says it checks only spelling, not grammar. True? I see not Dictionary option. ??

Perhaps my PP isn't checking spelling because I don't have Word installed?

Thank you so much for trying to help me. Based on my internet search, this question comes up a LOT. I gave the thread a 5 because you're the first brave person to even hazard a response on the web and if we can figure this out, you will have helped me immensely and probably others. :Cool:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Perhaps my PP isn't checking spelling because I don't have Word installed?

You touched on the right answer. Without Word being installed, the custom dictionary and the Spelling - Grammar module likewise are not installed. I absolutely dislike the installation and setup of Mac Office as it's inferior to that of the Windows version. In Windows you can separately install those modules, however, for some reason it's obscured in Mac Office.

My advice is to reinstall Office 2011 including Word and PP (of course). I'm not sure I understand why all your documents are opening in Word? That's something you can control very easily even with Word installed.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you SO much. I am traveling and will try it when I return home on Wednesday. I will let you know what happens. I would also like to to follow up with you on the Word 2011 taking--hijacking---all of my Word documents. :)

Feel my pain: I dropped my MacBook on a tile floor. It's working, but the disc drive is making a grinding noise. I already made an appt. at the Genius Bar for 9:15 AM Wednesday morning; I'll go straight from the airport.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

OP
G
Reaction score
Powerpoint mystery solved

You were right! I installed Word and now the spell checker on PP works, too. :Cool:
Thanks so much.

I opened my old Word and then opened some old documents from Finder and they opened in the old word. However, if I had the old Word (2004) closed, and tried to open Word docs from Finder, they opened in Word 2011. I'll deal with that after I finish this presentation. :Smirk:

Just wanted to let you know that this worked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep in mind that Word 2004 is not compatible with Lion or Mountain Lion if you're running either of those operating systems. The last version of OS X Word 2004 will work in is Snow Leopard. Also, if you have both 2011 and 2004 installed, 2011 will take over and open all *.doc, *.docx files and templates.

OP
G
Reaction score
PP working; Word 2011 is a Bully

Hi! I am running Snow Leopard on one of the last MacBooks because I have sensitivity to the LED screens. See more here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1677617?start=0&tstart=0
I can't even tolerate the screen on the new ipod/Touch. I had to return the latest generation because of eyestrain.

I prefer Word 2004, but may get used to 2011. I may remove Word 2011 from my computer when I finish this presentation. Resistance is futile. :|

Eventually, this MacBook will wear out and I'll be forced to make other arrangements. My fallback is MacMini and an external screen.

For now, my worry is getting this PP presentation done. Thanks to you, I'm on my way with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.