Very Weird Issue

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just encountered a very weird issue under Lion which I have no idea about and is causing my trouble!

I have an external hard disk called "Source B" which contains movies and TV shows. All of a sudden, there is now a FOLDER in /Volumes/ called Source B also. When I view info of the actual HDD it says it is called "Source B 1". I have tried deleting the folder but it keeps reappearing! This is causing big issues with my Media Server etc and I have no idea how to fix it! Why is there a folder called Source B in /volumes/???

Ive attached a few screenshots to show what I mean.

I hope someone can help and thank you in advance!!

ams710.png

2ljs6tu.png

Basically, the folder should not be there!!!

OP
F
Reaction score
Resolved

Hello, I seem to have resolved this. I had to remove the folder by using the terminal (sudo rm -rf) then I could rename the External Drive.

Sorry if I jumped the gun by posting!

Reaction score
A possible cause: are you unmounting this drive before disconnecting it? Just pulling the USB cord can cause all sorts of mischief.

OP
F
Reaction score
A possible cause: are you unmounting this drive before disconnecting it? Just pulling the USB cord can cause all sorts of mischief.

Hi Cradom, I always unmount the drive. I think I know the possible cause, hopefully this may help others.

The drive "Source B" was unmounted however there was an application running in the background which wrote to a folder on the drive automatically. I think because this application had the destination location of /volumes/source B/ and the actual drive was unmounted, the application just created the same location as a folder. I had to kill the app and remove using terminal to fix.

Seems obvious when I think about it, but I did not think it would create the location itself, rather I thought it just wouldnt write at all!

Thanks for your reply!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.