Advantages of combined address and search window in Safari V6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2
What are the advantages of the new combined search and address window in Safari V6? I can't think of any, but some disadvantages come to mind.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As someone who's been using the Omnibar in Chrome for a long time and switched from Firefox that had the two separate bars, I really like Safari's move to the single bar. Having the two bars provide no real advantage and the omnibar no real disadvantage (I'd love to hear your thoughts on that)..

I use the single bar to enter URLs when I know them and to search for things on Google when I need to search..not having to care which bar I'm on to do the appropriate thing is great..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Firefox will search in the main bar as well. I really don't see any disadvantage to be honest.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Every browser searches from the address bar now - Opera, Firefox, Chrome and new Safari. It would seem then that Apple is implementing an option that is now, for all intents and purposes, standard browser functionality.

Honestly, there's little that makes it magnitudes better than two separate fields except for one small thing that, for me at least, becomes habitual: using one field makes it easier to search through content and go to URLs because I only need to worry about one keyboard shortcut to give it focus (Command+L). Having used combined address/search bars for so long, I can't tell you how often I would open a browser (Safari) with two fields and frequently put the wrong content in the wrong field.

Thus, I'm willing to bet that although the advantages may seem negligible, they become habitual (like much else) and two field browsers will seem counterintuitive once this is so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Advantages include
  • People who don't understand the distinction between a keyword search and a URL have a much easier time

Disadvantages include
  • The browser no longer remembers keyword searches independently of the regular history
  • You can no longer go to a domain like www.example.com without an intermediate search page
  • Typos in the location bar will initiate a search that actually takes longer than just fixing your typo

All in all, it's a win for most users and a loss for power users.

It's actually a really old feature. Ten years ago, the Mozilla Suite (what is now called SeaMonkey) worked this way. Opera, and then Safari, added a separate field to make it more obvious that you could search. Then Mozilla Firefox copied that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Disadvantages include
  • You can no longer go to a domain like www.example.com without an intermediate search page

This is indeed an annoyance of Safari that doesn't exist with Chrome. If I enter a proper URL in Chrome it will go to the intended site without going through a search for it. Hopefully Safari fixes this..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's true. I did a quick HTTP capture and this is what I saw:

Safari:
safari.png

Chrome:
chrome.png

OP
beamon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2
This is indeed an annoyance of Safari that doesn't exist with Chrome. If I enter a proper URL in Chrome it will go to the intended site without going through a search for it. Hopefully Safari fixes this..
Yes, and the previous versions of Safari handled a proper input of a URL correctly.

For me, personally, it's a net loss!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use Safari but I can say that combined fields differ in quality. Opera's can be a bit hit or miss but Chrome's has never failed me (even when I search for something that includes a period). I imagine that Safari's will get better over time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't use Safari but I can say that combined fields differ in quality. Opera's can be a bit hit or miss but Chrome's has never failed me (even when I search for something that includes a period). I imagine that Safari's will get better over time.

Chromes works well. In Safari if I try and go back to my original search criteria it skips back to my first entry. Don't' remember that in Chrome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.