Bought an Apple Time Capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, bought February 2012
And got an email today that it would be delivered on the 14th. Looking forward to using it with Time Machine and hopefully a couple of Dell laptops the wife and daughter still use. I have over 2700 songs on ITunes and 140+ gb of photos that I want / need to back up. I've made it a practice to back-up my photos about once every 3 months or so by burning them to a DVD and then storing that in a fire-proof safe.

I haven't figured out how to gather the photos on my MBP the way I did with a PC. On the PC I could set the search parameters to find any photo made between a date, say January 31, 2012 and the present, and it would do so. I'd save those to a separate folder and then burn that folder to a DVD. After verifying the photos were indeed on the DVD, I'd delete that folder.

I'm sure there is a way to do the same thing on my MBP but haven't found it yet. So much to learn / play and so little time to do so.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
And got an email today that it would be delivered on the 14th. Looking forward to using it with Time Machine and hopefully a couple of Dell laptops the wife and daughter still use. I have over 2700 songs on ITunes and 140+ gb of photos that I want / need to back up. I've made it a practice to back-up my photos about once every 3 months or so by burning them to a DVD and then storing that in a fire-proof safe.

I haven't figured out how to gather the photos on my MBP the way I did with a PC. On the PC I could set the search parameters to find any photo made between a date, say January 31, 2012 and the present, and it would do so. I'd save those to a separate folder and then burn that folder to a DVD. After verifying the photos were indeed on the DVD, I'd delete that folder.

I'm sure there is a way to do the same thing on my MBP but haven't found it yet. So much to learn / play and so little time to do so.

Use Smart Album with Date parameters to select for export with iPhoto.

And, highly recommend you do your first Time Machine backup with a direct Ethernet Cable connection from your Time Capsule to your Mac(s).

OP
Bamabww
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, bought February 2012
Use Smart Album with Date parameters to select for export with iPhoto.

And, highly recommend you do your first Time Machine backup with a direct Ethernet Cable connection from your Time Capsule to your Mac(s).

OK, thanks for both suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.