Fan for Macbook 1,1

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a Macbook 1,1 which has worked really well the last 6 years. Unfortunately the fan broke a couple of days ago. I would like to try to replace the fan myself, if it works I'm happy and if somehow I screw things up I guess I'll just have to finally upgrade to a new Macbook pro.

However, I've been searching on ebay for the right fan bu I don't really find it, could anyone tell me which model fan I need for this type of macbook?

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you, that's a very nice website!

Now would it be stupid to order it from ebay for a fraction of the price? (Not sure if that's an appropriate question to ask here, I wouldn't want to offend people...)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not at all. Just make sure you're getting the correct fan as it can be a real pain returning items purchased on eBay.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you, that's a very nice website!

Now would it be stupid to order it from ebay for a fraction of the price? (Not sure if that's an appropriate question to ask here, I wouldn't want to offend people...)

Like "chscag" mentioned...not stupid at all to get the part via e-Bay if you can get it for less $$$. But also like "chscag" mentioned...in some cases it can be difficult to purchase the CORRECT part via e-Bay...since not all sellers are SUPER good at properly identifying the parts.

So even though the part looks correct...it may have small differences. So just be very very careful where/whom you buy from (e-Bay). If something isn't clear...ask questions. And if you don't get satisfactory answers for the seller (such as "I don't know")...then ask if you're able to return the part if it doesn't fit.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, in the end I relied on the type number I found on iFixit and found an ebay item that specified the same item number. Maybe I should have read a bit more reviews but usually my experience with ebay is quite good so I'm hoping for the best now! Looking forward to receiving it and opening up the macbook!

OP
R
Reaction score
Hello again!

Last weekend I opened my macbook up and found that the fan was full of dust. I removed the dust and reassembled the macbook but now my keyboard and trackpad are not working anymore... The on/off button, however, is still working fine.

Does anybody have a clue what could be wrong? Could it be that I broke the cable? But then why does the on/off still work?

Thank you very much!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does anybody have a clue what could be wrong? Could it be that I broke the cable? But then why does the on/off still work?

I believe they're separate. But you probably did damage the ribbon cable when you took the case apart. On a machine that old the ribbon cable is going to be real brittle from the heat and easily damaged.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I wondered because in ifixit it said that the on/off button, the keypad and the keyboard were led through the same cable. Anyway I believe you're right, maybe I damaged it in a weird way and the button was spared. The computer is otherwise working perfectly fine, I'll order a new cable!

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.